Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #141
Bengt

Default Re: Coolant [Spaceships]

Come to think of it, since they use the Emperor as a psychic navigation beacon during warp travel they do indirectly sacrifice souls for FTL.

I'm only really familiar with the main game fluff, but don't they have a lot smaller warp capable space ships in the RPG spin offs? The product blurbs make it sound like they would.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #142
AlexanderHowl

No, not for the Imperium anyway. The smallest spaceships were only in the millions of metric tons while the largest were in the hundreds of millions of metric tons (ranging from a minimum of SM+15 to a maximum of SM+19 in GURPS terms). Of course, Orks used hulks, which were even larger, as they were often made of small asteroids, wrecked warp-capable spaceships, and stranger things.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #143
Bengt

SM+19 sounds a bit small for the top end. For example the battleship Macragge's Honour is supposedly 26 km long, which is SM+26 I think (since it's an elongated box).
Old 03-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #144
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
SM+19 sounds a bit small for the top end. For example the battleship Macragge's Honour is supposedly 26 km long, which is SM+26 I think (since it's an elongated box).
Unfortunately, the larger ships in the Imperium do not make sense because they have a low density.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:37 PM   #145
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Unfortunately, the larger ships in the Imperium do not make sense because they have a low density.
Reminds me of someone (who was working on a Honorverse game) doing the math on superdreadnaughts and figuring out that they had lower density than air or something, and Weber actually changed their sizes in the back of a later book (in that section where they tend to have technical information, etc).
Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #146
AlexanderHowl

Yes, a SM+26 spaceship should mass around 1 trillion metric tons. Its major weapon batteries would be capable of dealing 3d×5,000 damage, would require a crew of 100 million people, and would cost around $6 quadrillion. If the Imperium of Man was capable of fielding such monsters, it would have utterly destroyed its enemies thousands of years ago, though it really would make more sense to field 1,000 SM+20 spaceships instead.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #147
Bengt

You can't really say anything about it's weapon batteries as it isn't designed using GURPS Spaceships. :) But yeah, in general, being a 40k author is all about throwing out random large numbers to sound impressive.

I haven't found a mass number for Macragge's Honour but some BFG ships have them.
Sword-class Frigate: 1.6 km, 6 M tonnes, 26 k crew
Claymore-class Destroyer: 1.4 km, 5.9 M tonnes, 21 k crew.
Lunar-class Cruiser: 5 km, 28 M tonnes, 95 k crew.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #148
AlexanderHowl

A Lunar-Class Cruiser is the 'typical' 40K warship. At ~30 megatons, it would be SM+17, so 95k crew would be about right
Old 03-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #149
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Sword-class Frigate: 1.6 km, 6 M tonnes, 26 k crew
Lunar-class Cruiser: 5 km, 28 M tonnes, 95 k crew.
That suggests the Sword-class is comparable to a WWII era warship in terms of crosssection and density, and a Lunar-class is either shaped like a needle or made out of balsa wood. I would not look to WH4K for inspiration if hoping to find sensible numbers.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #150
AlexanderHowl

My 40K spaceship conversions focus on the mass, not the dimensions. It just works better.

Tags
sci fi, spaceships