Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Very Fit and Spell Fatigue

As opposed to now, where they buy raw FP and 3e where they bought raw ST for the same reasons?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
As opposed to now, where they buy raw FP and 3e where they bought raw ST for the same reasons?
Yes, because they don't. It doesn't take much consideration to realize that it is more cost effective to invest in fatigue reduction and quick fatigue recovery than it is to increase the total fatigue pool, and for those who are interested, "energy reserve" is a better deal than raw fatigue.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Regeneration (Fast or Better) (Fatigue Only +0%, Magic -10%) can amp that up, if the Recover Energy spell isn't good enough for you. Yeah, it's expensive - and for good reasons. If you have a magical Energy Reserve to keep it separate from Fatigue (4e Powers, p 119), you can also Regenerate that for the same cost (or +100% for both FP and ER).
IIRC, Regeneration for Fatigue affects both energy reserve and Fatigue points without the need for a +100% modifier.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
IIRC, Regeneration for Fatigue affects both energy reserve and Fatigue points without the need for a +100% modifier.
no HP, FP and ER are all considered separate options singlily worth +0% and any combination of 2 is 100%
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
kirbwarrior

Considering that the FP regen part is worth [5] (Fit vs Very Fit), putting Cosmic: Any FP +100% makes that another 5pts. That by itself is about comparable to Recover Energy.

EDIT: If you feel better about it, bringing the cost to [15] makes it comparable to +5 FP or ER, making it a definite choice for mages.

If you are the GM, you could also state the you don't 'spend' FP on spells but 'lose' FP to spell casting. The difference is that it's not a cost, but a side effect. Your spells won't be free on crits, but you can spend FP more than you have (since you aren't spending anything). There may be other limits. Then Fit would affect it.

And on the note of mages all being Olympic athletes, physical exertion increases ST and HT as a way of training, so someone who spends FP often and a lot of it would become Fit, same as a marathon runner or anyone else who strains their body. The biggest part is knowing how to and what effect this will have on the body (And remember that default Magic isn't really comparable to any magic from any fiction I've heard of).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
EDIT: If you feel better about it, bringing the cost to [15] makes it comparable to +5 FP or ER, making it a definite choice for mages.
If your main goal is to double recovery rate then taking +5 ER is the way to go. Not only does it provide 5 more energy for casting, but it recovers independently of FP, meaning it effectively doubles your recovery rate (up to the limit of the ER); ER recovery also benefits from Recover Energy time reductions (for Magic ER; other similar effects apply to other sources of ER). Even 1-2 points of ER has a significant effect on energy recovery rate from casting most spells.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yes, because they don't. It doesn't take much consideration to realize that it is more cost effective to invest in fatigue reduction and quick fatigue recovery than it is to increase the total fatigue pool, and for those who are interested, "energy reserve" is a better deal than raw fatigue.
In those worlds where ER is metaphysically possible, yes.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Kesendeja

How about a version of fit and very fit that worked only for spellcasting drain?

I'd price it at 10 and 30 respectively.

Now what to call it?
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
How about a version of fit and very fit that worked only for spellcasting drain?

I'd price it at 10 and 30 respectively.

Now what to call it?
Why not just use an Energy Reserve?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
I think keeping track of separate things of "this is FP I lost by running", "this is FP I lost by casting a spell", "this is FP I lost because someone shot me with a tranquilizer", etc. is more work than it's worth. It's like making each individual wound recover HP at different rates or from different things.
Actually, by RAW there're differences in both HP and FP losses even for mundane reasons.

FP loss for different Hazards (both mundane and FP attacks with appropriate Hazard modifiers) only restores under appropriate conditions. So you might actually need to note "those FP i lossed for missed sleep, those - for missed meal, and those - for fighting and running". Only the latter ones would be restored by Fit.

HP loss due to Dependency, Drain, IA with Cosmic Lingering Effect aren't restored by natural healing. Mundane cases are lasting crippling injuries which aren't fully healed until you fully heal from crippling injury.

Tags
fatigue, very fit