Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #141
DSumner

Default Re: The unofficial new units thread

No worries, just hooped to make it clear I posted that LONG ago.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #142
Toltrin

Yeah, our gaming group is phasing out drones. Just as you guys we were getting tired of record keeping. Some time I will figure out some simple use for drones. Some day... :)
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #143
GrauGeist
Banned

Default Re: Tank Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Tank Destroyer: Attack 4+4, Range 3, Defense 4, Move 2, cost 2 Armor units, and are worth 12 VP.

As for possible unit names, I'm thinking either the Titan or Behemoth unless someone can suggest something better.
The unit names feel more suited to a PanEuro Ogre of some sort, something equivalent to a Mk.VI or larger.

IMO, Move 2 is too slow - it completely negates the Range 3, and means that a Heavy is always better, both for attacking and support. The only time this is better than a Heavy is in a defensive situation, when you know the enemy is coming right at you. I.e. classic Ogre. Even then, at Move 2, there is a fair chance that an Ogre can outmanuever *and* outrun the Tank Destroyer. Against Heavies, if they are forced to come at you, having the same M+R it's a draw. MSL with M+R 6 outrange your TD just like they outrange a HVY.

As far as stats go, I suggested a Superheavy Tank Destroyer like this:

Attack 3+3, Range 4, Defense 4, Move 3 (like Missile Tank / Light Tank).

This is basically 2 MSL glued together, with +1 Move. It can't cover ground like MSL or LT, but it's fast enough and dangerous enough to present a real threat to enemy armor.

Points-wise, it's a bit over 12 VPs / 2 Armor Units.

Please follow-up to Superheavy discussion

Last edited by GrauGeist; 05-30-2012 at 12:24 AM.
GrauGeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #144
Toltrin

Quote:
Super Heavy Missile Tank (SHMT): SHMT were first fielded by Combine forces in the closing days of the Last War, as one of their many attempts to stem the tide of the rapidly advancing Nihon assault deep into their home territory. They have an attack Strength of 5, a range of 7 (14”), a defense of 2, a movement of 1 (2”), move as a heavy tank, and are worth 12 victory points when destroyed.
I was surprised to see the Superheavy Tank and yet they didn't make a Superheavy Missile Tank! I like it and I will make a counter for it!
I changed the stats a little to reflect a little balance.

Last edited by Toltrin; 05-30-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #145
GrauGeist
Banned

Quote:
Super Heavy Missile Tank (SHMT):

Attack 5, Range 7, Defense 2, Movement 1 (as HVY),
12 VPs / 2 Armor Units
It's a Mobile Howitzer trading -1A for +1R and improved Terrain. Not a huge difference, IMO.

-1A to A5 is something of a problem, as A6 is 3:1 vs D2 MSL/LT, and 2:1 vs D3 HVY, whereas A5 is only 2:1 vs MSL / LT and 1:1 vs HVY.

Against 2 HVY, you will get a single 1:1 attack against the 1st HVY, then the 2nd HVY is right on top of you. If you killed the 1st HVY (1/3), then you have a 2/3 chance to get a good result against the 2nd Hvy. However, 1/3 of the time, you whiffed and are facing down 2 HVY at Range 4 (5 if retreating); even if you kill 1 on the 2nd shot, the remaining HVY gets a 2:1 return shot. I haven't done the full P-tree, but I strongly suspect that 2 HVY would be consistently better.

I would suggest that the MHWZ move and cost as-is (as MSL & LT), but have option for "extended range" A5 R7 in addition to the basic A6 R6 round. This would make the MHWZ less reliant on Forward Observers, and more viable as a stand-alone unit.

I might look at something along these lines:

Superheavy Missile Tank
Strength 6, Range 5, Defense 3, Move 2 (as MSL/LT); 12 VP / 2 AU.

Unlike SHVY, no split fire. Like MSL vs HVY, SHMT has +Range over SHVY, 1:1 attack, but moves slower (and more Terrain sensitivity), worse Defense.

Compared with MHWZ, it's -1 Range, but tougher & faster. Again, probably too close to MHWZ for comfort.

Last edited by GrauGeist; 05-30-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #146
GrauGeist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I find that most of his new units (various grades and types of drones, GEVs, Howitzers, and the various specialized units of infantry) are a bit too fiddly for me.

Ogre and GEV work so well BECAUSE they are simple, playable and confined to a pretty simplistic approach to all those nuances
I generally agree with the above - where units are clearly different, that is good. Where they are largely similar, it's not so good.

I am not opposed to a Super GEV, tho. I just can't figure out what it would look like without totally breaking the game, or forcing particular counter units (i.e. other GEV) to be taken.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #147
Toltrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
I generally agree with the above - where units are clearly different, that is good. Where they are largely similar, it's not so good.

I am not opposed to a Super GEV, tho. I just can't figure out what it would look like without totally breaking the game, or forcing particular counter units (i.e. other GEV) to be taken.
Yeah our gaming group decided to scrap the SuperHeavy Missile Tank. We will tweak it - maybe make it so it moves OR fires or something.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #148
DSumner

Bumping this up for no particular reason.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #149
Toltrin

Quote:
Bumping this up for no particular reason.
Bumping you back with my superheavy missile tank from 9km away.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #150
lokke

Cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders have the following stats: Move 1, Def 0, Att 0.
Cheerleaders appear randomly on the map. Each turn roll 1D6. On a 6, one squad is placed randomly on the map. (Unless it's a weekend, in which case they appear on a roll of 5+.)

Each turn roll 1D6 to see what the cheerleaders will do:

1: Get me out of here! They head for the nearest map edge.
2: Help! They move towards the nearest unit. If there are no units in line of sight, roll again.
3: Shopping! They head towards the nearest urban hex. If there are no urban hexes on the map, roll again.
4-6: Chat! They do nothing. (In game terms anyway.)

Any unit approaching within 2 hexes of the cheerleaders must make a reaction test. Roll 1D6:

If the roll is odd, they become protective.
If the roll is even, they become jealous.

Jealous units attack the cheerleaders. If they have no weapons, they will attempt to ram.

Protective units will grab the cheerleaders, head for the nearest cover and stay there for the rest of the game. Unless they can reach a map edge in one turn, in which case they will leave the battlefield rather than hide.
The cheerleaders are subject to the normal mount / dismount rules for armor units, though they do prefer to ride inside, rather than on top. (They are small compared to a battlesuit, and will usually manage to squeeze in somewhere.)
Infantry will just fling them over their shoulders (they don't weigh very much, and won't affect the infantry's move).
The protecting unit will ignore all orders until the end of the game, or until the cheerleaders are killed, whichever comes first.
Any unit that targets the cheerleaders will be fired on. If the cheerleaders are killed, the protecting unit will pursue and destroy the offending unit. After that, they are treated as a normal unit.

Several units may be affected at the same time. Protective units will not attack each other, but they will attack jealous units as soon as they target the cheerleaders.

Note 1: AI's are affected by cheerleaders just like conventional units. Ogres make the same reaction roll.
Note 2: As far as a cruise missile is concerned landing and exploding are pretty much the same thing, which is bad news for the cheerleaders.
Note 3: Cheerleaders must roll to decide what they are going to do each turn, even if they are being protected.
Note 4: Protecting units can be from both sides. If the cheerleades are killed, protecting units from opposite sides will fight. After killing the unit responsible obviously.
lokke is offline   Reply With Quote