Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
hal

Default What I LOVE about GURPS

Hello Folks,
My last post was somewhat "disparaging" of GURPS, and I got to thinking...

I've been gaming since 1978, and have been using GURPS since 1986. The group I have contains three players plus myself as a fourth (used to be larger but the Grim Reaper has his pick of us and will get us all someday). We've been together since 1980 for one of my members, and since 1983 for another, and since 1986 for the last of us.

31 years people! We've stuck with GURPS because it was good for what we wanted. When my wife had a chance to play a third level fighter in D&D, she hated the fact that there was no real "risk" for her character to go up against a 1st or 2nd level character. For the rest of us, many were the campaigns we COULD play, that were different genre subject matters, and GURPS handled them all perfectly in our eyes.

To that end, I'm starting this thread, asking people to gather here and list their all time FAVORITE books that SJGames ever put out for GURPS. All that I ask is that people use the following protocol:

GURPS 2nd be listed as G2, Classic GURPS, or GURPS 4e when discussing any titles they care to list.

Here goes my favorites list:

Classic GURPS BASIC SET
GURPS FANTASY 1st edition
GURPS HARKWOOD (GURPS 2nd edition)
GURPS CLASSIC MAGIC
GURPS CLASSIC ROBOTS
GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition (and both supplements)
GURPS CLASSIC CYBERPUNK
GURPS CLASSIC COMPENDIUM I & II
GURPS SWASHBUCKLERS
GURPS CLASSIC ULTRATECH and CLASSIC ULTRATECH II
GURPS HIGH TECH 2nd edition
GURPS CLASSIC SPACE
GURPS Classic Low Tech
GURPS LOW TECH (and its supplements)
GURPS CLASSIC TRAVELLER
GURPS CLASSIC PSIONICS
GURPS TERRADYNE
GURPS CLASSIC UNDEAD
GURPS CLASSIC CONAN
GURPS CLASSIC CABAL
GURPS THAUMATOLOGY
GURPS CLASSIC HORROR and GURPS HORROR (for 4e)
ORCSLAYER (used multiple times over 30 years!)
GURPS CLASSIC VOODOO
GURPS CLASSIC MARTIAL ARTS
GURPS MARTIAL ARTS (for 4e)

and last but not least...

GURPS CAR WARS!

Those are the ones that top my list after 30 years. These are ones that all have been used to good effect in running campaigns for my players. There were many that I was happy to have as secondary reference type books, but those on the list above are the biggies.

That SJGames still remains even after TSR, SPI, GDW, and various other companies have bit the dust, is a good thing. I'm glad to have helped in my own small way by buying those products (some in multiple copies!).

With luck, GURPS 5th edition, should it ever come out, will garner the same level of enthusiasm for SJGames from newcomers to the company product line, that the company had from me over the span of 30 years.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote