Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Captain Joy

Default GURPS Character Sheet (GCS) wiki

I have an account on the GCS wiki. I'm trying to add a my own Captian Joy user page, but I keep getting this massage:
Quote:
This topic does not exist yet

You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If permissions allow, you may create it by using the Create this page button.
My problem: there is no "Create this page button". I've emailed the site's administrator, but haven't heard back.

Some pages on this site show me an "edit this page" button, but many that I think should, don't.

Any advice on what I should do? If I'm missing something obvious, do let me know.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-25-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: add last sentence
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Ts_

Default Re: GURPS Character Sheet (GCS) wiki

Maybe it's just more restrictive than many other wikis? After all, a wiki can also be a convenient way to maintain a simple homepage.

Regards
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Humabout

I just tried to register, but the site hasn't sent me the email with my password. I'll check back later but there could be issues with the site, or permissions. Have you tried creating a random page and editing it just to see if its just your user page or if its any pages?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
GodBeastX

Yeah, I use Wiki's for it's convenience in page setup and data entry from my end. They aren't meant for people to edit.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Yeah, I use Wiki's for it's convenience in page setup and data entry from my end. They aren't meant for people to edit.
I'm mystified. I thought they were precisely for people to edit. Or, maybe I'm not clear on the deference between data entry and editing.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Humabout

Wikis are essentially just big databases that make it easy to interlink and sort data stored in pages. They happen to be AWESOME for encyclopedic stuff and work well with crowd-sourcing. To that end, they get used that way a LOT, but that's not their sole function, really. Frex, I have a wiki I run solely on my computer for organizing my setting, house rules, and such. It helps me a lot, but it's not even connected to the internet.

As for this one, I just found the password in my spam box. Checking it out now.

[EDIT]
Yeah, looking this over, I think it's just intended to be a place for all the info on GCS. The only page with edit permissions appears to (oddly) be the list of users, who happens to only contain the two developers, and present, you (though I could edit my acct in there, too). I'd wait for a reply from the admin to find out for sure what the deal is, but I think it's just their own site.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Last edited by Humabout; 06-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I'm mystified. I thought they were precisely for people to edit. Or, maybe I'm not clear on the deference between data entry and editing.
I should have qualified that. "Random" people to edit.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Have you tried creating a random page and editing it just to see if its just your user page or if its any pages?
Excellent idea. I may be clueless, but I was unable to add any kind of page. In fact, the only page I'm able to edit at all it this page:

http://gurpscharactersheet.com/wiki/wiki:user:start

From there, you can see that I was able to add a link to what will eventually(?) be my new user page:

http://gurpscharactersheet.com/wiki/wiki:user:joy

As I understand it, if everything was working properly, I should now have access to an "edit this page" tab, which would allow me to add content to my page.

I don't think Richard Wilkes, the main man, has added/updated anything in over a year. I'm getting the impression that he has more important things vying for his attention--completely understandable. Also unfortunate, as I would love to see well-stocked fan-supported webpage for the GURPS Character Sheet program (which is free and indispensable).

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-26-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: minor, though embarrassing, myriad changes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Humabout

You're not clueless. I couldn't even add and edit a sandbox page, which most public wikis seem to regularly support. After some more noodling around, I think the wiki isn't set up for the public to edit, despite what it says.

I do totally agree that this would be a great thing to have floating around the web, but unless the admin fixes the permissions, it might not happen here.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
You're not clueless. I couldn't even add and edit a sandbox page, which most public wikis seem to regularly support. After some more noodling around, I think the wiki isn't set up for the public to edit, despite what it says.

I do totally agree that this would be a great thing to have floating around the web, but unless the admin fixes the permissions, it might not happen here.
I have nothing to do with GCS or the wiki, but I have space and I can easily set up a new wiki.

If anybody is interested, I can create a wiki where people could add their character sheets and new libraries, as well as other GURPS stuff like templates and such.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan sites, game aid, gcs, help needed, wiki