Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Modular attributes?

I wonder if not a newly constructed modular ability would be better. I would set this at 4 points per slot (for short list) + 3 points per point (for slow and subject to outside interference). And then add +50% for physical. That would buy you something that takes a minute per point redistributed.

Yeah, it's going to be very expensive (for instance, being able to move 10 points around would cost 49 points), but it's a very powerful ability.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

That is far too cheap for the utility. Let us imagine a pool of 100 CP from ST+10. For Alternate Abilities, you could purchase IQ+5, DX+5, HT+10, Basic Speed+5.00, and Basic Move+20 as AA for 20 CP each, for 200 CP total. That is a reasonable cost for such flexibility.

With a 3 CP per CP Modular Ability, I can limit it in such a way that I can get three slot of 100 CP of Attributes each for only 203 CP. Not only do I gain flexibility, I am paying less for the flexibility than the value of the attributes themselves.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #13
Dichotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
That is far too cheap for the utility. Let us imagine a pool of 100 CP from ST+10. For Alternate Abilities, you could purchase IQ+5, DX+5, HT+10, Basic Speed+5.00, and Basic Move+20 as AA for 20 CP each, for 200 CP total. That is a reasonable cost for such flexibility.

With a 3 CP per CP Modular Ability, I can limit it in such a way that I can get three slot of 100 CP of Attributes each for only 203 CP. Not only do I gain flexibility, I am paying less for the flexibility than the value of the attributes themselves.
How do you figure 3 slots of 100cp when 203cp only buys you 67 total Points at 3/point? My proposed solution didn't even involve slots and, even at 2cp per modular point you spend 200cp for 100 flexible attribute points and you can have +10 strength OR +5 DX etc whole the rest of your stats were pretty bad, when someone who dedicated that many cp directly to their attributes would have twice as many attributes as you.

What is being proposed here is a racial bonus for a species which is blessed by the god of change and madness, representing a quasi-magical pool of potential to change from day to day. The change (in lore) takes a long time and precludes strenuous activity for the duration as their body is unstable, but does not require active effort. Ideally I'd like to have the race start with -1DX, -1 IQ, -2ST, and -2HT, then 40 points to spread around their attributes. I'm just trying to figure out if that is cost prohibitive.
Dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
zoncxs

You will need, assuming the above post, about 144pts.

So, The long but easy way. A.A.

40 points only, distributed among ST DX IQ HT. The different ways of doing that are:

+4 ST
+3 ST +1 HT
+2 ST +2 HT
+1 ST +3 HT
+4 HT
+2 DX
+1 DX +1 IQ
+1 DX +2 ST
+1 DX +2 HT
+1 DX +1 ST +1 HT
+2 IQ
+1 IQ +2 ST
+1 IQ +2 HT
+1 IQ +1 ST +1 HT

So you pay 40pts + 1/5 the cost of the rest (8pts) = 144pts

Yes, this is a lot fast than what you want, but that is easy to fix by adding immediate preparation required to everything.

The other way is as mentioned in another post, cosmic Modular ability with limited to to a small category.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
You will need, assuming the above post, about 144pts.

So, The long but easy way. A.A.

40 points only, distributed among ST DX IQ HT. The different ways of doing that are:

+4 ST
+3 ST +1 HT
+2 ST +2 HT
+1 ST +3 HT
+4 HT
+2 DX
+1 DX +1 IQ
+1 DX +2 ST
+1 DX +2 HT
+1 DX +1 ST +1 HT
+2 IQ
+1 IQ +2 ST
+1 IQ +2 HT
+1 IQ +1 ST +1 HT

So you pay 40pts + 1/5 the cost of the rest (8pts) = 144pts

Yes, this is a lot fast than what you want, but that is easy to fix by adding immediate preparation required to everything.

The other way is as mentioned in another post, cosmic Modular ability with limited to to a small category.
The cost of buying ST +4; DX +2; IQ +2; HT +4 is 160 points. 144 points only saves 10%. That seems like a very bad deal.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
How do you figure 3 slots of 100cp when 203cp only buys you 67 total Points at 3/point? My proposed solution didn't even involve slots and, even at 2cp per modular point you spend 200cp for 100 flexible attribute points and you can have +10 strength OR +5 DX etc whole the rest of your stats were pretty bad, when someone who dedicated that many cp directly to their attributes would have twice as many attributes as you.

What is being proposed here is a racial bonus for a species which is blessed by the god of change and madness, representing a quasi-magical pool of potential to change from day to day. The change (in lore) takes a long time and precludes strenuous activity for the duration as their body is unstable, but does not require active effort. Ideally I'd like to have the race start with -1DX, -1 IQ, -2ST, and -2HT, then 40 points to spread around their attributes. I'm just trying to figure out if that is cost prohibitive.
So, let us take a look at the Modular Ability, which we will call Flexible Attribute. Here is an example:

Flexible Attribute (100, 100, 100; Costs FP, 10 FP, -50%; Immediate Preparation Required, 8 hours, -90%; Physical and Mental, +100%; Psychic, -10%; Requires IQ roll, -10%; Take Extra Time 2, -20%) [183]. Notes: After 8 hours of preparation, the user must make an IQ roll and spend 10 FP before immediately allocating their CPs, taking four seconds per CP.

Yes, it would take three days to complete allocate their points, but that is not really important, as they will have gained 300 CP of attributes for 183 CP.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #17
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
The cost of buying ST +4; DX +2; IQ +2; HT +4 is 160 points. 144 points only saves 10%. That seems like a very bad deal.
The point limit set by the OP was 40 points spread between ST DX IQ and HT. So you can not have +4 ST +2 DX +2 IQ and +4 HT. you must spend only 40 points total on them, in any combination, and every day you can switch it around.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #18
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
The point limit set by the OP was 40 points spread between ST DX IQ and HT. So you can not have +4 ST +2 DX +2 IQ and +4 HT. you must spend only 40 points total on them, in any combination, and every day you can switch it around.
It still seems like a bad deal, especially when comparing how much cheaper having only 4 options would be and the utility already granted from such (40+8*3=64). In fact, the cost comes out to exactly a -10% 'limitation' on having all four.

One idea that might work is Wildcard Powers. You buy some 40pt trait that makes sense, then make it so all abilities you can switch around while using it only apply to attributes. That's effectively 120pts, which is still high, but would be worth it if it could apply to secondary characteristics.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, let us take a look at the Modular Ability, which we will call Flexible Attribute. Here is an example:

Flexible Attribute (100, 100, 100; Costs FP, 10 FP, -50%; Immediate Preparation Required, 8 hours, -90%; Physical and Mental, +100%; Psychic, -10%; Requires IQ roll, -10%; Take Extra Time 2, -20%) [183]. Notes: After 8 hours of preparation, the user must make an IQ roll and spend 10 FP before immediately allocating their CPs, taking four seconds per CP.

Yes, it would take three days to complete allocate their points, but that is not really important, as they will have gained 300 CP of attributes for 183 CP.
I like the name!

Actually, since we want to be able to have any combination, but limit it all to one cap (lets go with 40pts as OP suggested), then we could use cosmic modular abilities instead.

Flexible Attribute (40; Costs FP, 6 FP, -30%; Immediate Preparation Required, 5* hours, -80%; Physical and Mental, +100%; Limited, attributes only, -30%; Limited Use, 1 per day, -40%) [80].

After 5* hours the user can allocate up to 40 cp to DX ST HT an IQ. This is very tiring, costing 6 FP to attempt, per attempt and can only be attempted once per day.

*There is nothing in any books for any other time frame, but with 1hr being 75 and 8 being 90 I decided that 5hr being 80 is fair.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

I think that using Cosmic Powers would be fair, considering that attributes impact so much. Traited-Limited (Attribute) would only be worth -10% though, since it is equivalent to Advantages Only (-10%) or Skills Only (-10%).