Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
DAT

Default Best Adventures/Setting to Concert for DF

I have my main GURPS DF campaign, that I have set in a home brew setting (Bones of the Dragon Empire), and an alternative setting for a super-mega dungeon crawl game (Dungeons of the Shadow Rifts), but have run a few games based in classic locations such as Kent Keep (B2, The Keep on the Borderlands), Restenford (L1, The Secret of Bone Hill), Saltmarch (U1, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh), Highport (A1, Slave Pits of the Undercity), and Ereihei-Cinlu (D3, Vault of the Drow). The idea of running a full campaign set in The Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or Golarion (Pathfinder) setting occasionally comes up (as I look at my collections, and realize all the available maps and artwork that I have that I’m not using).

So assuming you would use one of these other settings and convert some of the adventures over to GURPS DF or the DFRPG, which do you think would be the best?

For AD&D/Greyhawk; I like the idea of using the Saltmarsh Trilogy to blend into the Isle of Dread (X1), and then use that to lead to the Against the Slavers, Against the Giants, Against the Drow, and end in the Abyss with the Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Replacing the Saltmarsh and Isle of Dread with Temple of Elemental Evil would be a even more classic path.

For D&D 5e/Forgotten Realms; I like the idea of either Storm King’s Thunder or Out of the Abyss.

For D&D/other Demi-plane settings; there is Ravenloft.

For Pathfinder/Golarion; I like the idea of The Jade Regent, Rise of the Runelords, Reign of Winter, or The Serpent’s Skull.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: Best Adventures/Setting to Concert for DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
For AD&D/Greyhawk; I like the idea of using the Saltmarsh Trilogy to blend into the Isle of Dread (X1), and then use that to lead to the Against the Slavers, Against the Giants, Against the Drow, and end in the Abyss with the Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Replacing the Saltmarsh and Isle of Dread with Temple of Elemental Evil would be a even more classic path.
There's the Adventure Path (12 issues of Dungeon magazine, with related articles in Dragon magazine) that focused on (IIRC) Demogorgon and the Isle of Dread.

I've heard good things about the N# series from AD&D 1e.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
robertsconley

Quote:
So assuming you would use one of these other settings and convert some of the adventures over to GURPS DF or the DFRPG, which do you think would be the best?
My Scourge of the Demon Wolf was originally run for GURPS back in the early aughts.

You will need to stat out the opposition accordingly to account for DF's use of 250 pt template. I ran it using the 150 heroic level. If it works out that way, just throw a lot of wolves at the party. There is a NPC list at the end should be useful to see what needs converted. The adventure itself is a sandbox basically a situation and the PC arrive in the middle of it.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
I've run GURPS DF and DFRPG in both Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms (or, rather, stealing parts of those worlds and cobbling them together with my homebrew stuff and things my players come up with). I've run the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh using GURPS rules many times (including twice in the past few months). To my mind, GURPS is a better system for it because the house provides so many opportunities to employ a wide variety of skills. As far as setting goes, I think these settings work fine with just about any system that's inclined toward fantasy.

Quote:
For D&D 5e/Forgotten Realms; I like the idea of either Storm King’s Thunder or Out of the Abyss.
I enjoyed reading Out of the Abyss and have been thinking about running it with DFRPG. I usually convert things on the fly without doing much prep work, but this one felt like it could use a bit more attention.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
xlyce

For me, it is always Ravenloft. I ran it off and on in GURPS 3e for about 10 years. Since I only have one of those players in my DFRPG game, I may go back to it when I reboot my current campaign.

Last edited by xlyce; 02-10-2020 at 08:21 PM.
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
beetle496

Since Saltmarsh is mentioned in OP, I will mention that it got a fantastic reboot last year. I picked it up recently, but will now be running Norlond Saga first.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:37 AM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Since Saltmarsh is mentioned in OP, I will mention that it got a fantastic reboot last year. I picked it up recently, but will now be running Norlond Saga first.
Great minds! I've been using the rebooted Ghosts of Saltmarsh with one group and I'm launching a Nordlond campaign in the next month or so. (Ultimately, I'll probably say that it's all part of one world; I just don't have it mapped out yet.)
Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Great minds! I've been using the rebooted Ghosts of Saltmarsh with one group and I'm launching a Nordlond campaign in the next month or so. (Ultimately, I'll probably say that it's all part of one world; I just don't have it mapped out yet.)
This hasn’t appeared in any of the books yet, but it’s a common thing for me to say to my authors that the world that contains Northland is roughly twice the surface area of earth, but also - because you got to have it - Hollow. So there’s a world beneath the world as well as the surface to play in.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
This hasn’t appeared in any of the books yet, but it’s a common thing for me to say to my authors that the world that contains Northland is roughly twice the surface area of earth, but also - because you got to have it - Hollow. So there’s a world beneath the world as well as the surface to play in.
Splendid! Plenty of room for all the cool places.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 AM   #10
beetle496

Nice! I had been looking at the Hollow Earth D&D resources before picking up Ghosts of Salt Marsh, and my players may eventually discover they are on the Warden.

But @Douglas Cole, I thought the canonical setting for DF, and thus Norlond, was Yrth? Or did I just imagine that DF has anything to do with Yrth? (Not that the GM can’t do whatever they want.)

Last edited by beetle496; 02-13-2020 at 01:59 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote