Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Ronly

Default Basic question about Changing Facing during movement

Just started running some test combats and I realized that I have a very basic question. Melee states (pg. 9)

"A player may change the facing of a figure whenever it moves, and may always change its facing at the end of its movement turn, even if it stayed in the same hex"

The last part seems straight forward, but the beginning wasn't clear to me. I was playing that it refers specifically to the move action, and not to any other kind of movement since moves is in italics. However I am not so sure.

I also assume you can change facing in any amount, just not one hex face.

My ignorance was highlighted to me as I was pitting a fencer up against a heavily armored opponent and I wanted to get the fencer in the rear before engaging... changing facing throughout a charge allowed the figure to run around back, which seemed rather weird. If it was a straight line, and not any direction even with facing at the end, sometimes the figure wouldn't be aligned to even engage. Which also seemed weird.

So, yes, this is pretty basic, but I couldn't find anything in ITL that provided better examples.
Ronly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Basic question about Changing Facing during movement

You can change to any facing any time you move, even when shifting one hex, disengaging, being forced to retreat, etc.

What usually prevents a figure from moving to a foe's side or rear hex, is that moving into a foe's front hex stops your movement, starting a turn engaged means you can only shift one hex and must stay engaged, and a smart foe moving first will do what they can to not end their movement so close that you can move to their side or rear.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
larsdangly

Correct on all counts.

If you find you are getting flanked in situations where it should have been easily avoided, recheck the rules on moves, shifts and the movement sequence, and get in a little practice seeing how they work in play. TFT is chess-like in this way; it is possible to play chess well, but also possible to get burned by simple mistakes!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
RobW

Skarg is right as usual, and just to add, I think the emphasis here on moves might be to emphasize you can't change facing at other times, and most especially, you can't adjust your facing when you are attacking or being attacked.

Re moving around in crazy zig-zags rather than straight lines: the consensus seems to be that given a 5-second turn, where 10 hexes/turn = about 5 mph, movement on the map represents some kind of active combat maneuvering rather than full-on running.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Ronly

Thanks everyone for clarifying. I did make a classic beginner mistake by running the warrior too close to the fencer on their move, which is why it didn't make sense they could run around them... must have been the first time for him in arena combat ;)

As I play through these arena combats, I am seeing it is much more tactical than at first glance. Very fun... just want to make sure I am following RAW properly.

So far for my wizards no combat has lasted more than one round... so I haven't had a chance to move them around quite as much :)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
ParadoxGames

Only a few months ago, I was as new as you in the game. More experienced players are glad to help if you post Qs on the forum.

If all Wizard games are that short, don't forget the courtesy rule: don't use a missile spell as your first spell. I don't know if that's what happened, but those games are very short and unremarkable.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
If all Wizard games are that short, don't forget the courtesy rule: don't use a missile spell as your first spell. I don't know if that's what happened, but those games are very short and unremarkable.

Another interesting option is to permit wizards to cast one spell on the turn before entering the arena, raising the possibility that your target already has a Reverse Missiles in place.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
Ronly

The first mage won initiative (tied adjDX) and killed outright with a lightning bolt. In the second combat, one mage had Reverse Missiles and slew the first when the same tactic was tried. It seems pretty “guns at high noon”. I like it!