Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Mgellis

Default Re: Infinite Worlds, which wordline are we in?

Not sure I like Zandt-n...it implies Zandt is somehow central, but in an active way, like the Bonaparte timelines.

What we need is a word that implies "Homeline, if something important was missing, rather than different."
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Stormcrow

We're not Homeline after a divergence point. At least, certainly not a divergence point centering on the development of parachronics.

Our timeline would be startling to Homeliners, because we have a game called GURPS that includes a setting which describes Homeline, Centrum, and the infinite worlds. If our game accurately describes them, they'd certainly be interested in gathering intelligence from us.

This reminds me of TV shows and films that take place in the modern world, except without any reference to themselves. For instance, every time a Star Trek story takes place in modern times, it must do so in a world without Star Trek.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Scalping_Elmo

You are right about Zandt-n implying active but different result in the worldline.

We aren't Earth-Beta, the Iran theocracy collapsed after some AU interference.

Could we be Earth-Gamma or Delta? or have those names been taken by worldlines I am unaware of?
Scalping_Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
David Johnston2

Homeline generally names worlds after what is the first or most important deviation discovered on the first scouting missions in their opinion. No question that they'd find a parallel where important secrets about the multiverse are contained in a work of fiction to be important for that. Therefore if they discovered our world and discovered it before they found some other basis to name it...we might end up being called GURPS. Probably not Jackson, because the Andrew Jackson timelines would have a lock on that.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Scalping_Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Homeline generally names worlds after what is the first or most important deviation discovered on the first scouting missions in their opinion. No question that they'd find a parallel where important secrets about the multiverse are contained in a work of fiction to be important for that. Therefore if they discovered our world and discovered it before they found some other basis to name it...we might end up being called GURPS. Probably not Jackson, because the Andrew Jackson timelines would have a lock on that.
I thought about that very same thing while I was sitting in my truck this morning.

What year was the first version of Infinite Worlds released? The reason I ask is this; if it took place after the divergence of 95 (Zandt), GURPS would exist on Homeline, but would not have the Infinite Worlds source book.

In living up to the tradition of Homelines use of Greek for nomenclature, we could be Mythos. If anyone here knows the actual language, maybe a transliteration of "from thought to creation".
Scalping_Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalping_Elmo View Post
I thought about that very same thing while I was sitting in my truck this morning.

What year was the first version of Infinite Worlds released? The reason I ask is this; if it took place after the divergence of 95 (Zandt), GURPS would exist on Homeline, but would not have the Infinite Worlds source book.
It first appeared in GURPS Time Travel, 1991, for third edition.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
vitruvian

Could it be Chad-1?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalping_Elmo View Post
GURPS would exist on Homeline, but would not have the Infinite Worlds source book.
Well there might be an Infinity sanctioned roleplaying supplement, but would it end up being for GURPS?
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
Well there might be an Infinity sanctioned roleplaying supplement, but would it end up being for GURPS?
GURPS has supplements for real life military agencies and other contemporary games so there's no reason why it couldn't have an IW supplement without need of sanction. But it would leave out a lot of the more secret stuff.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
GURPS has supplements for real life military agencies and other contemporary games so there's no reason why it couldn't have an IW supplement without need of sanction. But it would leave out a lot of the more secret stuff.
Well yes, but it's amusing to think that if there were a game within the game that were in some way 'official' and supported by Infinity, it might not be using GURPS even though the Homeline SJG would be perfectly within their rights to make an unofficial supplement about Infinity.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds