Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
martinl

Default Re: Best Adventures/Setting to Concert for DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Or did I just imagine that DF has anything to do with Yrth?
They are both GURPSish. You could certainly do it if you wanted. However, there is no canonical DFRPG setting - like many things GURPSish, you should put it where you want.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Nice! I had been looking at the Hollow Earth D&D resources before picking up Ghosts of Salt Marsh, and my players may eventually discover they are on the Warden.

But @Douglas Cole, I thought the canonical setting for DF, and thus Norlond, was Yrth? Or did I just imagine that DF has anything to do with Yrth? (Not that the GM can’t do whatever they want.)
As far as I know, dungeon fantasy is not set anywhere, being a high-level genre treatment. Nordland is very definitely not set on Yrth As a default. I seem to recall writing a blog post about migrating my setting into the barbarian lands in the north of the stock been storm setting, but that was more idol musing than anything else.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
For Pathfinder/Golarion; I like the idea of The Jade Regent, Rise of the Runelords, Reign of Winter, or The Serpent’s Skull.
I personally think Rise of the Runelords would do very well with Dungeon Fantasy. I've tried it with "normal GURPS" a couple of times, in play-by-post format, but unfortunately never made it very far.

Maybe also Kingmaker, although that one might be a little too "politicking" and/or the realm management might not translate well to GURPS. I haven't really made a concerted effort to sort that one out.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #14
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
As far as I know, dungeon fantasy is not set anywhere, being a high-level genre treatment.
I am not sure where I saw the DF-Yrth reference, but it surprised me as being unnecessary (or even counterproductive), which is why it stuck in my mind. I am relieved to have you say I am mistaken about that!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:46 AM   #15
beetle496

This is an earlier thread where Kromm talks about the DF setting.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #16
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

If we're talking about the best settings to convert, I'd be remiss to not mention D&D's Eberron. I think that anyone who likes Dungeon Fantasy should give Eberron a whirl at least once. It's fun and a bit different—it's like the Banestorm/Yrth of D&D but more fitting for Dungeon Fantasy. Now, I say that pretty loosely because not all aspects are similar, but, in broad strokes, I think they are quite comparable.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #17
mehrkat

This is from when the first Dungeon Fantasy book came out but I ran a very successful Dragonlance begun Spelljammer game
Old 02-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #18
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
If we're talking about the best settings to convert, I'd be remiss to not mention D&D's Eberron. I think that anyone who likes Dungeon Fantasy should give Eberron a whirl at least once. It's fun and a bit different—it's like the Banestorm/Yrth of D&D but more fitting for Dungeon Fantasy. Now, I say that pretty loosely because not all aspects are similar, but, in broad strokes, I think they are quite comparable.
I've never checked out Eberron but was thinking of picking up the new 5e treatment. Thanks for the recommendation.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
Joseph R

I am using the World of Jordoba setting for my DF campaign. It's systemless, but clearly written with D&D assumptions. That makes it fairly straightforward to adapt for Dungeon Fantasy purposes. I like that the world is broadly described, and with evocative details, but plenty of space for the GM to make it their own. The setting has a sort of "Gonzo Sword and Sorcery" asthetic to my mind, although it's easy enough to change that.

B2 Keep on the Borderlands has been dropped onto the map, and the party is currently running through that.

Formerly known as Unwitting Pawn
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote