Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
RobW

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I guess I'm glad I raised the topic because there is a lot of uncertainty in people's minds. But the correct approach using the new edition seems very clear to me: After character creation your IQ score has no bearing on how many points worth of talents or spells you know.
Yes, before reading this thread I had assumed unspent IQ points could be spent after character creation (or after raising IQ attribute). But after reading this thread, I agree the RAW don't allow this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX
back in the day it was not uncommon to have 1 or 2 IQ left over after initial character creation that the player was saving for a more 'expensive' talent to be earned after some adventuring... like Fencing. Now you are telling me that those points are lost? No thank you.
My reaction is the same!

My memory is that SJ proposed these changes in the context of the pain of limited talents due to IQ and the difficulties of "forgetting" talents to free up brain space. And in this respect the changes are a BIG improvement, one of my favorites in the new edition.

But it seems to me that allowing figures to "fill up" their IQ, not just at character creation, but at any time, is not problematic. (A) I don't see any great potential for abuse. (B) Since there are no forgetting rules, you don't have to worry about PCs swapping their talents around. (C) It allows some limited funneling and makes it easier for players to plans for their character's future development. Basically, what's the harm???
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote