Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-11-2024, 09:15 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Any Pathfinder 2 gurus out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Well, there's Canny Acumen, which gives 'Expert' in a given save or in Perception, but Barbarians already have Expert Fortitude, so it's of no use to you.
Barbarians also have Expert Will and Expert Perception. They also get get Expert Reflexes at 9th level. You'd think my character was in good shape if it weren't for all those dC20+ Saves he was having to make last session.

I have noted the Medical Feats but everything but Assurance seems to require Expert and 7th level feels like it's a long way away.

If I'm going to need a side hustle to pay for Healing potions I'm looking at Additional Lore. My current Lores are not very marketable. I could do a better job of this at 5th level though.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:46 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Canny Acumen has a short lifespan. It's not "your character becomes one level better at this save than normal". It's "set save exactly to Expert". But every class is going to get every save at Expert, usually sooner rather than later. So, the feat will become redundant due to natural progression.

Thus, it's good if the campaign is going to be short, and you expect never to get to Expert in that trait. Plenty of groups only like low-level play.

Or, if you're using the retraining rules, a player might find it worthwhile to boost a save early, and just plan on retraining that feat into some other feat later. (Just remember that you can only retrain to feats that you could have chosen when you picked the feat you're getting rid of, not the nice high level juicy feats you have available now.)

Perception's been highly useful in every game I've played. That trait might be worth burning a skill feat just for the short term (that is, if retraining is not allowed). The competition is, after all, other skill feats, which as the OP notes can be kind of meh anyway.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:14 PM   #13
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or, if you're using the retraining rules, a player might find it worthwhile to boost a save early, and just plan on retraining that feat into some other feat later. (Just remember that you can only retrain to feats that you could have chosen when you picked the feat you're getting rid of, not the nice high level juicy feats you have available now.)

Perception's been highly useful in every game I've played. That trait might be worth burning a skill feat just for the short term (that is, if retraining is not allowed). The competition is, after all, other skill feats, which as the OP notes can be kind of meh anyway.
It's also useful at 17th+ level.

BTW, retraining is not presented as optional, so if a GM is disallowing it, that's a house rule.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:31 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It's also useful at 17th+ level.

BTW, retraining is not presented as optional, so if a GM is disallowing it, that's a house rule.
We've already had re-training and the GM anticipates more than I plan on currently.

As for boosting Perception now and re-training later my character already has Expert Perception. Literally the only place i could apply Canny Acumen is Reflex saves.

Right now I'm evaluating Quick Jump with some moneymaking Lores next level. My character is already very physical with 18 ST and Feats like Hefty Hauler, Adrenaline Rush, Fleet and Fast Movement.