Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Mysteris

Default Sloth and Oblivion in the modern day

Heya.

I was reading back through some of the posts and PenitentDemon's post about a reversed Blandine and Beleth got me thinking. I've long had a thought about a Free Lilim gaining a Word or even a Principality, and it occured to me that Sloth and Oblivion are both open. My question, what do you think those Words would look like in the modern day? Would they still qualify for being independent Superior-level Words or would they be subsumed under some other Word like The Media or Gluttony?
Mysteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Sloth and Oblivion in the modern day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteris View Post
Heya.

I was reading back through some of the posts and PenitentDemon's post about a reversed Blandine and Beleth got me thinking. I've long had a thought about a Free Lilim gaining a Word or even a Principality, and it occured to me that Sloth and Oblivion are both open. My question, what do you think those Words would look like in the modern day? Would they still qualify for being independent Superior-level Words or would they be subsumed under some other Word like The Media or Gluttony?
One could argue that trying for the Word of Sloth would immediately disqualify you as unsuitable. ;)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

And if you go Oblivion, who would know? <g>

More seriously, Secrets appears to be doing a pretty good job of pinch-hitting for Oblivion nowadays.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Mysteris

True, but do you think either Word could stand on it's own at a Superior level these days? I mean, I could see Sloth doing something like trying to get people not to care about anything. And maybe Oblivion wiping out all empathy and feeling from an area, but I'm trying to grasp what those Words really were and how a modern-day claimant could make them relevant and powerful again.

To some extent I have the same question about The Waters.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
One could argue that trying for the Word of Sloth would immediately disqualify you as unsuitable. ;)
One day Lucifer appeared before the laziest demon in Hell and said, "Arise my new Demon Prince of Sloth. No, no. don't bother to actually get up or anything."
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
naraht

This is definitely appropriate...

http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/art...nce.Ralph.html
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Mysteris

I see your point about trying for the Word of Sloth. :p

So what about Oblivion? What do you all think that Word was about, and how would it apply to the modern day?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteris View Post
So what about Oblivion? What do you all think that Word was about, and how would it apply to the modern day?
All things that have form will break. Nothing is eternal. The world is transitory and impermanent; help it along its way.

Modern things that strengthen the word of Oblivion (some with a little prodding):
  • The reliance on digital media, which we know has a short lifespan compared to the printed word but we use anyway
  • The "epidemic" (because people are living longer) of Alzheimer's
  • The phenomenon of "hooking up" instead of dating, sending even short-term interpersonal relationships into the dustbin of history (this one takes some spin-doctoring, but it isn't a really huge stretch)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

As for what the Word was once about, according to the Infernal Player's Guide, Oblivion was originally intended to counter the efforts of Lightning and Knowledge. As the angels helped guide humanity's learning, the demons of Oblivion were charged with making sure those lessons were as forgotten as Hero's steam engine.

Sometime around the 18th century, of course, Hell changed tactics. Led by the new Prince of Technology, the plan became not to stifle human progress, but to accelerate it beyond the pace of human comprehension, so that the average man would become dependent on toys he didn't understand.

Of course, if those toys were to be suddenly jerked away, that lack of foundational knowledge could make Oblivion more powerful than it had ever dreamed. If only Gluttony could be persuaded to cough the old Prince up ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Fads create impermanence and denigrate the traditional.

I thought sloth was a sin because it rejected God's beautiful creation through narcissistic depression. No one ever said religion was nice to the mentalyl ill after all.

Tags
demons, word-bound