Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
DNAphil

Default Re: Looking For A Word

"What is wrong with the world today??"

Great question. So I can think of a few possible ideas some that are quite large and some that are smaller.

1. The Recession-- this is a more recent event and could be tied to Marc.
2. Increase in Violence -- from school shootings, increase in global conflicts, etc.
3. Lack of Respect-- people are not as polite or nice to one another as before (get to sound a bit Ghostbuster II, but its true)
4. General decline in Religion

I like the Recession as the target, because it is an event that occurred fairly recently.

So lets run with the recent Recession.
DNAphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAphil View Post
The Angel of Credit versus the Demon of Easy Money
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The Angel of Credit versus the Demon of Easy Money
Or the Demon of Usury. (Or both, working together...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Or the Demon of Usury. (Or both, working together...)
Or even a non-word bound scheming for the Infernal word of "Mortgage Backed Security" or "Credit-Default Swap"
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
Azel

another one on Recession, since Derivatives came back and ruined all sorts of things, you can look closer to the comparison to Mutual Funds and Derivatives.

Mutual Funds diversify investment so as to mitigate risk, whereas Derivatives diversify ownership so as to mitigate risk. But!, mutual funds leaves people owning a smaller share (in a large bundle of diverse ownership) which can ever decrease into marginal ownership. whereas derivatives take debt ownership and try to pull in the opposite direction sending ownership to the 4 winds, to eventually disappear into the infinite vanishing point (just like what happened recently). one tries to break up the capital into small pieces of ownership between many things; whereas the other tries to break up ownership and repackage it repeatedly to be broken up again and resold endlessly -- like waving a magic wand to make all risk vanish entirely.

so you can have an angel of Mutual Funds vs. demon of Derivatives.

if you want to have real fun, you can have a demon of Bloated Investment Institutions also attacking the angel of Mutual Funds by retaining majority proxy voter status on the mutual funds. this would mean that Boards of Directors, who would normally be checking the excesses of Chief Officers (CEO, COO, etc), would be asleep at the wheel because their proxy votes (controlled by Bloated Investment Institutions) only care about meeting minimum projected quarterly earnings and nothing else -- not environment, good investment, company stability, human life, or anything.

Marc and Mammon are obvious picks. or you could have an even more entertaining twist where Marc's & Litheroy's efforts helped trigger the downfall by short selling and expose's in an effort to shake unfair dealings out into the light. ;)
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
Marc and Mammon are obvious picks. or you could have an even more entertaining twist where Marc's & Litheroy's efforts helped trigger the downfall by short selling and expose's in an effort to shake unfair dealings out into the light. ;)
Fits. After all, there are hints in canon that Marc triggered the Panic of '29 in order to break the power of Mammon. It was certainly the critical event (along with related events in Hell) that sent that Prince into the ranks of the minor leaguers.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAphil View Post
"What is wrong with the world today??"

Great question. So I can think of a few possible ideas some that are quite large and some that are smaller.

1. The Recession-- this is a more recent event and could be tied to Marc.
2. Increase in Violence -- from school shootings, increase in global conflicts, etc.
3. Lack of Respect-- people are not as polite or nice to one another as before (get to sound a bit Ghostbuster II, but its true)
4. General decline in Religion

I like the Recession as the target, because it is an event that occurred fairly recently.

How about this,
There once was a demon, lets call him Heeli-on in service to Kobal who liked to take credit for other demons hard work and was soon lined up for promotion, a big one.
It was at the point Kobal was finishing off the presentation to Lucifer for that big promotion that evidence of this demons incompetence and shoulder standing were brought into the light - Kobal doesn't like being laughed at, really doesn't like it. So Heeli-on gets the word " What goes around comes around" but everyone now knows that he'll steal their ideas so this once rising star plummets and plummets and when Heeli-on thinks things can't get worse he gets transferred to Asmodeous.

Heeli-on spends his time thinking lots and lots and then see's a glimmer of a possibility, what if he can expand his word to include cycliar events?
Sun spots
Global temperature
Erosion
Weather!
Throw in some shorter range stuff - financial meltdowns

now he uses his access to the Records to hunt out those demons who's work supports this kind of concept and 'nudges' their records a tiny amount to snow ball his new goal, he's even begun courting ethereals in his personal - all he has to do is make everyone fear the downturn, and be selfish during the good times...

Hell maybe own for now but Heeli-on knows 'what goes around comes around'

Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberon View Post
So Heeli-on gets the word " What goes around comes around" but everyone now knows that he'll steal their ideas so this once rising star plummets and plummets and when Heeli-on thinks things can't get worse he gets transferred to Asmodeous.
Ran into something like this with my PbP. The NPC Velga is Spies' best go-to angel for avoiding awkward questions. I had him say something to the effect of "We'd give you the Word of Stonewalling but then nobody would talk to you, and what good would that do?" Or the fanfic where Michael is peeing on Baal's grave, noting that it didn't matter who won or lost, that without the war there would be no Demon Prince of The War.

Some Words are just self-extinguishing.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
DNAphil

So I though I would give an update. I settled on a word. The word is Risk.
The angelic version of Risk is about taking a chance that moves someone towards their destiny. It is the risk that a college student who drops out of college and starts up an internet company making life better for millions of people. It is the bank manager who approves a mortgage for a struggling couple so that they can have their first house.

The demonic version of Risk is about chances that move someone towards their fate. It is the person who quits his job to move across country to be with his girlfriend, only to find out that she has gotten engaged to someone else. It is extending a mortgage to someone who had no chance of paying it, and having them default.

The current trends have made the demonic version of Risk more powerful, as people are fearful of risk in their lives. As the Angelic version of risk decreases in power, people are less likely to make those big jumps to push the envelope in: creating art, technology, falling in love, etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions, it did a lot for getting me to think about where I wanted to go with this.
DNAphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
word-bound