Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Stormcrow

Default Symbol magic example

There's an example of "emergency symbol-casting" in GURPS Magic, page 207. I'm wondering if it contains an error.

The main text on that page describes the several ways one can cast symbol magic, including writing on parchment, tracing in the air, and drawing symbol tokens. In each case, and for each symbol, the caster roll the lower of that symbol's skill and Symbol Drawing. Afterward, the caster must activate the drawn symbols with the lowest of Symbol Drawing and any of the symbols skills used. That's a minimum of three rolls per spell.

However, the example of Fergus drawing true symbol tokens suggests only one roll is necessary. He draws two wands at random, then rolls once against the lowest of his Symbol Drawing and symbol skills.

Looking at GURPS Vikings, which I know is a third-edition text, it says no roll is needed for individual runestones; they succeed automatically.

Was the automatic success of symbol tokens left out of the text? Is it there but I missed it? Is it not correct and the example is wrong? How many rolls do you make when drawing symbol tokens?
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Symbol magic example

Or perhaps the construction of the symbol tokens in the first place counts as their "creation." That's why they work automatically: the rolls were made when they were created.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
evileeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Was the automatic success of symbol tokens left out of the text? Is it there but I missed it? Is it not correct and the example is wrong? How many rolls do you make when drawing symbol tokens?
Read 'Symbol Tokens' on page 208 and find all the answers to your questions.

Gurps Combat Club on RPoL. Come check it out, play in a tourney or two!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Stormcrow

Oh! I don't know why my eyes just slipped off that entire column of text. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #5
Anaraxes

"Encrypt", Magic p135, renders text "unreadable". The name implies you can still see the text, though. So perhaps instead, "Avoid", M140, is a better fit.

Or possibly "Forgetfulness", but that suggests a nearby mage actively interfering after the fact. So check out your associates carefully.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
Stormcrow

I think it was just Steal Energy used on me.