Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Unlimited Power

Sounds like the Dark Hallow from Dead Beat... which Harry said was enough to turn yourself into a god.

Is there anything stoping you from using the pool to Qick and Dirty Enchant your on body trsforming it, give your selg thing like perment great Haste (Alter Timer Right) or Body of Godliness ?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Snaps

Default Re: Unlimited Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post
The limit is probably his imagination, which can be very limiting.

I have one friend who can't think of anything more creative then "bigger boom". Her brother on the other hand could come up with downright terrifyingly potent plans using very little.

So what is this person like? Are they creative? Destructive? Manipulative? Do they think inside the box or have they never seen cardboard before? Did he get the power by being incredibly brilliant, stupidly lucky, or some combination?

Edit

Also, what options are available? Anything in Magic? Anything in Basic within a certain theme? Syntactic Magic? What are his goals?

You have a character with a lot of power, but what they can do with it really depends on what they want, what they are willing to do, and what external resources are available.

I'm up for the challenge, but need more details :)

It's not so much that I need ideas, I am just wondering if there are any RAW limits that I might have missed.

With a billion energy can you effect the entire planet with Create Fire, or is there a skill penalty or other limitation that would limit you?

Things like that.

It's very possible that the players themselves might be able to gain access to this source of unlimited power (for a time) if they play their cards right. But in a high powered games I think this question can come up fairly often. I'm going to start up another GURPS Amber game soon and I think this situation will come up a couple of times in it.

The Eye of the World from the Wheel of Time series is a good example of a power source like this I think. I'd call it a thousand or ten Fatigue points in liquid form. Later on Rand gets those two statues that give him access to an almost limitless source of power. (Enough to destroy the world at least).

I remember an old Dreadstar comic book where a Sorcerer tapped into an unlimited power source like this and it nearly killed him. He obtained massive power but it blew off both legs, an arm, an eye and burned most of his body. Sounds like the Magery + HT roll you'd make when using Draw Power.

I'll probably come up with some test like that a character will need to make to control so much power.

Thinking along those lines, lets say you are a mage with Draw Power and tap into a massive power source. If God-like Extra Effort was allowed could you use this energy to increase an innate attack, etc?

Conflicts over major power sources seem to be a running theme in my games. I remember a few years ago a character got a hold of a Spikard from the Amber series. Stat-wise it let the character tap into a limitless source of power and added +10 to HT when controlling that power (Or maybe that was Magery). It gave the character a lot of power, but I found that the enchanting rules limited a lot of what the player could do with it. (Minimum time is still something like 1 hour per 100 energy).

What might be a good rule for a Super who is tapping into a power source to boost his abilities with godlike extra effort? What ST or Power level X Ht divided by some number in energy per second?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
godlike extra effort