Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
benz72

Default Carousing with Charisma

I was surprised to find Carousing is not on the list of skills helped by the Charisma advantage. Anyone have theories about why that should be?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Carousing with Charisma

I think it's because it's not, by default, an Influence skill. Its default use is a more low level "how well can you handle your partying". However, it frequently can be used as an influence skill, in which case Charisma should definitely benefit it.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
I was surprised to find Carousing is not on the list of skills helped by the Charisma advantage. Anyone have theories about why that should be?
The common use of Carousing is not to influence people, but to gain bonuses to their reactions or to your Influence rolls in attempts to gain their cooperation. Charisma also gives bonuses to such rolls. So if it added to Carousing, it would be giving a direct bonus AND improving the chance of your getting a second bonus. That looks kind of like double counting. My feeling is that generally, any advantage or skill should benefit any final roll only in one way, and you get to choose how you're applying it—and +1 from Charisma, say, is probably a bigger benefit than +1 to the roll that determines if you get +2 from Carousing.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Charisma doesn't help you avoid drinking so much that you puke and pass out. As an influence skill Carousing is more complimentary than direct. You make partying fun for yourself and those around but you have to use a real influence or reaction roll if you want to use how much they are enjoying themselves to help you get information, make a deal, or get them to sleep with you.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Kax

Quote from the skill desc: "A successful Carousing roll, under the right circumstances, gives you a +2 bonus on a request for aid or information, or just on a general reaction."

So it's a lead-up and assist for an influence skill.