Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #191
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Red steps forward and evaluates for +1

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #192
Plane

you narrow gap 5>4

normal attack (Ranged) as aiming seems to stink, I'm just going to gamble...

I roll a 12 which is a MoF of 4 for skill 8.

Although, I'm not sure if that affects anything, "missed your target by a number of yards equal to your margin" on B414 is only for area attacks...

I think normally with a miss (unless you did an arching shot, 3e had rules for that, not sure about 4e) that it would travel through your hex in a straight line up to its full distance.

Since the shoe weighs 1 pound, B355 "Divide the object’s weight in pounds by your Basic Lift". Normally ST 12 has BL29 but since I'm at 8/12 FP (lost 1/3) my ST is reduced to 5/6, so it's only 10 now, giving BL/20.

With a 1/20 weight ratio, it still just barely makes it under the first tier, retaining a distance modifier of 3.5

I multiply DM by ST to find out how many yards it goes: 3.5*10=35 yards.

The shoe goes flying 31 yards behind you.

One weird thing I just noticed... generic throwing objects do not appear to have a 1/2D distance like throwing weapons do. That seems odd.

Using free step, widen gap from 4>5 again.

Your turn
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #193
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, 31 yards feels way too far for a thrown shoe. particularly one thrown at a chest rather than an arc. Physics would suggest that it travels half of its max distance past the halfway point between the thrower and the target, or 15.5 yards past red (if we assume the highest point of the thrown arc is halfway between red and his target). That's still a little far for missing someone with a thrown shoe, but its not quite as ridiculous.

Red steps forward and evaluates for +2

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #194
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, 31 yards feels way too far for a thrown shoe. particularly one thrown at a chest rather than an arc.
It's 35 yards, 31 yards past you is because you were 4 yards away from me :) It's not 36 yards away since I backed up a yard.

I agree it does seem too far for chest-level, I would be fine with assuming that is when it's thrown in a 45 degree arc.

That should basically mandate targetting a hex (at +4, but hitting random targets within) and not any particular foe or body part. Or at least if you do, that kind of targetting should be harder than firing at it in a roughly straight line.

Arc-shooting should also not overshoot to the same degree if it misses.

Straight-line throwing (as you'd need to do in a long hallway with a low ceiling, for example) should definitely be shortened by some amount.

Quote:
Physics would suggest that it travels half of its max distance past the halfway point between the thrower and the target, or 15.5 yards past red (if we assume the highest point of the thrown arc is halfway between red and his target). That's still a little far for missing someone with a thrown shoe, but its not quite as ridiculous.
I don't know if it's as easy as a 1/2 distance rule, wouldn't it be something like needing to calculate how much acceleration is applied downward throughout the travel time it takes to span the horizantal distance?

One aspect of arcs we'd need to account for is how they would be slower, since some of the potential force is being used to oppose gravity (giving it more float time) instead of being converted purely into horizantal force where there's an immediate drop.

Quote:
Red steps forward and evaluates for +2
You narrow 5>4

Time for the other shoe to drop: I grab the other shoe from my armpit and ready it, and free-step 4>5 again.

Doing it a third time?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #195
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I don't know if it's as easy as a 1/2 distance rule, wouldn't it be something like needing to calculate how much acceleration is applied downward throughout the travel time it takes to span the horizontal distance?
You're right, its not that simple. I made some faulty simplifications. I'm mulling over what a ranged overshoot distance should look like without just pulling out a physics calculator.

Quote:
You narrow 5>4

Time for the other shoe to drop: I grab the other shoe from my armpit and ready it, and free-step 4>5 again.

Doing it a third time?
Red evaluates and steps forward a third time.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #196
Plane

you narrow the distance 5>4

I spend another AP (11/12 to 10/12, forgot to log expenditure for last attack) to throw other shoe.

I roll an 8 just barely making the success.

Do you which to actively defend?
Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #197
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I roll an 8 just barely making the success.
No, Its a bare miss. You're 4 yards away, for a -2 penalty. Even if you stepped a yard closer to -3 it'd still be a -1.

If that ruling stands, Red will take 1 step forward, closing the distance to 3 yards, and keeping his evaluate up.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #198
Plane

Quote:
No, Its a bare miss. You're 4 yards away, for a -2 penalty. Even if you stepped a yard closer to -3 it'd still be a -1.

If that ruling stands, Red will take 1 step forward, closing the distance to 3 yards, and keeping his evaluate up.
You're right, for some reason I thought I had already applied the speed/range penalties. Where I got bungled up is 8 was merely the DX-3 throwing skill, and I apparently had applied the halved speed/range for aiming (-1 reduces to skill 7) but actually forgot to do in the dice log input and wrote 3d6 vs 8...

My 2nd aim being committed I rolled against 10 when I should've rolled against 9...

Actually I think it would be a -1 penalty because I'm counting your step forward as a spd of 1yard/second which I add to the range (4) to get spdrange 5 = -3

skill 5 since when actually attacking you don't halve the spd/range penalty like with aiming.

Apparently I was aware of halving speed/range but I forgot about that when complaining to Doug about how hard it was :)

I didn't take a step closer (it's pointless since moving from 4+1=5spdR to 4 wouldn't reduce the -3 penalty) so I have the option to do either after the utter miss I should've expected

Since I'm down to 10/12AP, keeping a distance until I get that back would serve my interest, so my free step is 4>5 as per usual.

Your Evaluate narrows that 5>4 per usual

This time I will evaluate you too, 4>5 step

I'll basically continue that until I both max my AP and get a +3 to hit (not having anything else to throw) unless you want to shake things up by charging.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #199
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I don't think Green Can evaluate at that distance.

Red has injured green, and has him limping. If no further damage was done, Red could be declared the winner. He feels no need to close the distance or prove anything.

Red wants to isolate those shoes, and take advantage of his superior movement. Half move for Red is 2 yards (stupid rounding -- its faster to run). Now I need to know how far away those shoes are.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #200
Plane

Quote:
I don't think Green Can evaluate at that distance.
Well let's see, with a Move and Attack I could move 2 yards, if I made it a Flying Attack I could add half of running broad jump, which (B352) is (Basic Move + Yards) x 2 + 3 feet. BM2+2y=4, 4*2=8, 8+3=11 feet normally, halve is 5.5 feet, rounded down that's at least 1 extra yard, meaning I can move a total of 3... and I could get +1 to reach from doing a kick, so I should be able to initiate an Evaluate from 4 yards away, and then take a step back.

The rub will be that I won't be able to make another one at the start of my next turn (distance 5) unless you move closer. But I'll still get to make my HT roll.

Hm y'know oddly... if you had been going at full move a couple turns to get the +1 sprint bonus, that should technically increase your Evaluate range, since it increases how far you could have potentially gone with a move and attack on that turn, but then since you slowed, you'd have to get closer to keep evaluating since you'd lose that potential movement the following turn of Evaluate.

Doesn't really make too much sense, but there it is.

Quote:
Red has injured green, and has him limping. If no further damage was done, Red could be declared the winner. He feels no need to close the distance or prove anything.

Red wants to isolate those shoes, and take advantage of his superior movement. Half move for Red is 2 yards (stupid rounding -- its faster to run). Now I need to know how far away those shoes are.
Does that mean you are turning around to look behind you? :)