Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default [Magic] What spells heal attribute damage?

This came up in my game today (since someone thinks it's a good idea to go mowing down strange plants)—what spell(s) heals attribute damage? Is there one, or is this an opening in the system for someone to make one?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Magic] What spells heal attribute damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
This came up in my game today (since someone thinks it's a good idea to go mowing down strange plants)—what spell(s) heals attribute damage? Is there one, or is this an opening in the system for someone to make one?
Define "attribute damage". A spell would not cure attribute damage as such. It would cure the cause of the damage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Refplace

Remove Curse could cancel a cure that lowered an attribute. Otherwise healing for most things.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Jasonft

Mowing down strange plants sounds like inhaled poison maybe. Possibly poison that does ability damage and then flushes out of the system. Is this more or less what happened?

There are spells that shorten recovery time, modify your recovery rolls, and a couple of other things. Healing ability damage that remains after the cause of the damage is gone (poison cured, curse removed) I'm not sure about.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Mowing down strange plants sounds like inhaled poison maybe. Possibly poison that does ability damage and then flushes out of the system. Is this more or less what happened?
Pretty much. I had the plants as doing HT damage; the plant did that in the 3e GURPS Fantasy Bestiary.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
weby

By RAW there is no clear spell in Gurps magic that removes the damage done by poisons. The neutralize poison stops further damage and so on, but does not repair done damage.

Minor/Major Healing would repair hit point damage caused by disease/poison and could be read to heal other types of damage done by them too if you read the second sentence of the descriptions that way. Back when we were using the basic magic system we interpreted it that way, and had a house rule that repaired other attribute damage from poison/disease at a rate of 2 character points/Hitpoint they would have healed.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 AM   #7
starslayer

Or if you want to be more strict and make attribute damage more scary go with 'regeneration only'- regeneration and instant regeneration are both very expensive (but not un-achievable) spells. This means that having any attribute damage that you want fixed on a quick time scale requires a person very dedicated to healing with a strong energy reserve, and fixing attribute damage means a LOT of other healing not doled out in a DF-style dungeon crawl.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Pretty much. I had the plants as doing HT damage; the plant did that in the 3e GURPS Fantasy Bestiary.
It would have had an ad hoc mechanism for doing that damage too. "Attribute damage" as a standardized thing is a relatively recent import as a concept from other game systems. When found in older Gurps there was usually an adjacent line saying something like "lost pts return at a rate of 1 per day.".

Though you might should have read "HT" for "hits" or HP. Older Gurps has things like that in it.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
GodBeastX

I would argue Restoration spell should handle this, otherwise Regeneration for sure. That is, if it is lost to physical damage of toxins or disease. Magical effects tend to be connected to the curse or effect in question.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
HT was also HP in 3e, and it probably meant Hits. Anything that reduces actual attributes will also list a duration for the effect.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute, attributes, gurps, healing, magic