Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
mearrin69

Default Re: GURPS 2013 Wish List

I'd like a "modern warfare" book of some flavor, maybe 80s through 2010s. Generic and specific templates for various types of soldier would be high on the list. More vehicles than provided in HT.

And anything related to Reign of Steel...even little PDFs covering a single topic each.
M
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
GURPS Horses. Horses and mules get a lot of use in my fantasy campaign, and I could use some more guidance. What kinds of different horses are there? What kind of care do they need to keep them healthy? How do they react to being ridden or led into various kinds of environments? What are some riding-specific techniques I might want to try? If a horse suddenly becomes riderless in battle, how would someone else gain control of it? And so on and so on. If this book also covered riding on elephants and griffins, that would be fine, too.
Hm considering certain racial templates I want to make that would be a very useful book/ pdf
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
GURPS Horses. Horses and mules get a lot of use in my fantasy campaign, and I could use some more guidance. What kinds of different horses are there? What kind of care do they need to keep them healthy? How do they react to being ridden or led into various kinds of environments? What are some riding-specific techniques I might want to try? If a horse suddenly becomes riderless in battle, how would someone else gain control of it? And so on and so on. If this book also covered riding on elephants and griffins, that would be fine, too.
How exceptional can horses be? Including after a few hundred years of selective breeding, maybe according to special in-world needs. Or a fairly large market who knows that there is an absolutely faboloulsy wealthy elite who will pay a premium price for high-performance mounts, and so selectively offers up such mounts to said elite.

In short, what is the ability range variation for horses, and how rare are the most exceptional ones?

Quote:
GURPS Survival. How do you stay alive when you're in the wilderness with no more equipment than you can carry? What are the obvious dangers, and what are the subtle ones? What kind of toll does failure take on your body? Yeah, I know, we've got basic rules on this, but I want more detail.
Beep yeah! That would be a cool book.

Also more MacGyver stuff. GURPS High-Tech had some of that, with the Dirty-Tech boxes, and it was wonderful, but since then: nothing.

What can characters make in terms of simple improvised gear, given basic everyday materials. And not just normal characters, not just characters limited to the writer's own direct personal experience. But also characters who are at the edge of human variety. Characters with multiple relevant skills at 18. Or a couple of skills at 22. Characters who have IQ 16, Versatile and Eidetic Memory.

Quote:
GURPS Character Assistant V2.0. The current version is…how old? I don't know, but I know that I find it slow and clunky. I'd like to see it load faster, crash less often, and be easier to navigate.
I don't have a problem with loading time. It may be slow to open up, but that actually doesn't bother me. But in usage, GCA is very slow to respond. That makes me glad, honestly glad, that GURPS isn't my system of choice.

Quote:
What's on your wish list?
GURPS Power-Downs 1.

Chances are there'll be very little that I can steal from it for use in Sagatafl, since I'm most likely already doing most of what it's going to cover, but for GURPS itself as a system, a 32- or 48-page volume talking about disadvantages, would be highly useful.

I fear, though, that if it gets written, most of the pagecount will be polluted by Dramatist crap about metagame entities choosing or not choosing how to spend metagame currencies during play, and other such stuff that makes absolutely no logical sense, and which will look howlingly inconsistent, from an in-character point of view. Instead of taking a good, thorough look at the way GURPS (and several other point-based systems) does it, which is that we require players to define dsads in advance, and we reward (we bribe) them to do it. And acknowleding that this is good, but can be enriched if the model is elaborated on, in as many different ways as possible.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Locations don't need to be DF related. I want a book of generic low-tech locations that can be dropped into any setting from DF to historical. My castles book was supposed to do that but I also want inns and taverns, temples and abbeys, wind and water mills, iron mines, shops, various workshops (smithy, bakery, glassblower, potter, etc), houses of various sizes, theatres, senate houses...
Also think about how useful such supplements can be for non-GURPS GMs. There are a lot of Ars Magica GMs who can make good use of TL3 (and TL2) floorplans. There's a fairly big market for that kind of material, but ever since 4th Edition got published, SJ Games have drawn inwards, focusing very strongly on material that is of little use outside of GURPS.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Technically, it would be v5.0, but otherwise I agree with you. That's why I'm in progress on it right now. No particular ETA, but it's coming along.
Well, that's excellent news! Please allow me to cheer you on.

So, that's one wish granted. Who wants to step up and grant me my other eight?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The castles book is getting close to 100 sales so I'm committed to writing another one of those too.
And there's some more good news. But, in particular, did you mean another book of small castles, or another book on castles, not necessarily small?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Luke Bunyip

Just wish to add my voice to the cheersquad. Great to hear, Armin. I like GCA, but an improved version would be great.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
What's on your wish list?
The same as it is every year, Pinky... er, Chris:

GURPS Fourth Edition In Nomine
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
DanHoward

Quote:
And there's some more good news. But, in particular, did you mean another book of small castles, or another book on castles, not necessarily small?
More of the same (Compact Castles II).
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Ketsuban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
There's a fairly big market for that kind of material, but ever since 4th Edition got published, SJ Games have drawn inwards, focusing very strongly on material that is of little use outside of GURPS.
Why wouldn't said non-GURPS GMs be happy with the data from the 3e books which you already acknowledged? What do they stand to gain from SJG investing resources in putting out the same books again with the same information and game mechanics updated for 4e?
Closed Thread

Tags
dungeon fantasy, gurps, horses, magic, monsters, wish list