Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

I posted a bit of an update on the next Dungeon Fantasy RPG adventure in the Nordlond setting today.

I have some things to settle for my last project, but even now, there's enough to really get a feel for the area. As the "things to do" expands solidly into "and killing things and taking their stuff" as well as "what the heck is going on around Nordvorn?" I suspect that the challenge will be keeping within likely budgets for art and publishing!

In any case: it's coming soon.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Vampire-X

Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Ooh. I am looking forward to this!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Dalin

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
I'm warming up my vorpal blade to go snicker snack...
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
b-dog

I had bought the Hall of Judgement on Kickstarter but I had not been able to read it until now. I am very impressed with the fairy races (Nordalfar). I think the fairy veil really fits well with keeping the fairy hidden and also the idea that the fairy can go back to the fairy realm too. I also like that they are dependent on mana and are affected by iron. I really hope there is more fairy stuff in the new project, especially going into their realm from Nordland.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I had bought the Hall of Judgement on Kickstarter but I had not been able to read it until now. I am very impressed with the fairy races (Nordalfar). I think the fairy veil really fits well with keeping the fairy hidden and also the idea that the fairy can go back to the fairy realm too. I also like that they are dependent on mana and are affected by iron. I really hope there is more fairy stuff in the new project, especially going into their realm from Nordland.
I'm glad you like it. The upcoming Citadel at Nordvorn has a segment of the . . . call it a relationship web . . . that extends into the Hunted Lands. There will certainly be at least one encounter there.

The following two adventures are set farther to the East in Nordlond, into the Dragongrounds.

I am definitely thinking of some 16-page stuff in the future (like 2020, 'cause my 2019 is freakin' booked!) that will be more faerie encounters, so one can mix and match. I've also got an idea for a giant adventure path like thing called "The Veiddarlond," or "The Hunted Lands" that will basically be "all faerie, all the time."
Old 02-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'm glad you like it. The upcoming Citadel at Nordvorn has a segment of the . . . call it a relationship web . . . that extends into the Hunted Lands. There will certainly be at least one encounter there.

The following two adventures are set farther to the East in Nordlond, into the Dragongrounds.

I am definitely thinking of some 16-page stuff in the future (like 2020, 'cause my 2019 is freakin' booked!) that will be more faerie encounters, so one can mix and match. I've also got an idea for a giant adventure path like thing called "The Veiddarlond," or "The Hunted Lands" that will basically be "all faerie, all the time."
It might be cool to have something like a Glamour level in addition to mana level. It could be a subset of mana level except that each level of glamour is magic that the faerie can use and control so that in high glamour levels the faerie are almost like wizards with tons of powers. Maybe regular mana is magic that those with Magery can use while glamour is magic that faerie can use. For example a nordalf has faerie veil 2 but in a Glamour 2 area his faerie veil becomes 4 or in a Glamour 5 area his faerie veil becomes 7. The faerie could also have powers like spoiling food, dancing lights, and so on that they can not use with regular mana but can use them if the Glamour level is high enough. This would make faerie really strong in areas of high glamour.

Last edited by b-dog; 02-06-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
It might be cool to have something like a Glamour level in addition to mana level. It could be a subset of mana level except that each level of glamour is magic that the faerie can use and control so that in high glamour levels the faerie are almost like wizards with tons of powers. Maybe regular mana is magic that those with Magery can use while glamour is magic that faerie can use.
That's a rules change/addition that I'd not make as a requirement to play the setting. There are already three things to watch for: mana, nature's strength, sanctity. I think that's enough, and that the game needs to be kept in tune with the core box rules for maximum portability. My mission with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG is "write to the rules" not "rewrite the rules."

It would be a fine house rule or option, but I won't be adding it to my published material.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
That's a rules change/addition that I'd not make as a requirement to play the setting. There are already three things to watch for: mana, nature's strength, sanctity. I think that's enough, and that the game needs to be kept in tune with the core box rules for maximum portability. My mission with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG is "write to the rules" not "rewrite the rules."

It would be a fine house rule or option, but I won't be adding it to my published material.
It probably would make things too complex for Dungeon Fantasy but it would be cool for regular GURPS DF. I love lots of powers. I am sort of sad psionics got cut out. As far as faerie go though I have been trying to make something like glamour levels to represent how strong the faerie energy is in the mortal realm. I feel it is the connection of the mortal world to the faerie realm, the higher the level the stronger it is. The glamour level goes up on full moons and on holidays like Halloween. The higher the glamour level the easier it is for faerie to enter into the mortal realm and the easier it is for them to make magical items and contraptions or spin straw into gold. In high glamour areas a faerie could make a contraption that flies out of leaves and sticks while when the glamour level falls the contraption becomes just ordinary materials. A Wizard will know glamour is made of magic but it would not be in a form where his spells would be able to capture it.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
It probably would make things too complex for Dungeon Fantasy but it would be cool for regular GURPS DF. I love lots of powers. I am sort of sad psionics got cut out. As far as faerie go though I have been trying to make something like glamour levels to represent how strong the faerie energy is in the mortal realm. I feel it is the connection of the mortal world to the faerie realm, the higher the level the stronger it is. The glamour level goes up on full moons and on holidays like Halloween. The higher the glamour level the easier it is for faerie to enter into the mortal realm and the easier it is for them to make magical items and contraptions or spin straw into gold. In high glamour areas a faerie could make a contraption that flies out of leaves and sticks while when the glamour level falls the contraption becomes just ordinary materials. A Wizard will know glamour is made of magic but it would not be in a form where his spells would be able to capture it.
Some of the background details in Citadel at Nordvorn indicate this, and some of the plot elements show how the Faerie are growing stronger. Rather than separate a whole different power level, I'd likely do something like say "In the Faerie pocket dimensions of svartalfheim, fae treat mana levels as high; if dealing with a mortal who has broken a faerie promise, spells cost less fatigue/are cast at a bonus/may be maintained for free."

So from that perspective, while I won't be adding extra rules, I will be giving you the flavor you want.