Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #31
malloyd

Default Re: fantasy crafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I don't think the use of "inches" in D&D was a typo. Rather, it was a result of its miniatures wargame heritage, where the "inch" on a tabletop battlefield was a common measure for distance, with varying scale factors depending on the mini rules in use.
Though the D&D usage is still a little weird, what with the way it implies characters represented with the more or less standard 25 mm miniatures are like 30 feet tall.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #32
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Now you tell me! After I've already ordered my Stonehenge megaliths!

I don't think the use of "inches" in D&D was a typo. Rather, it was a result of its miniatures wargame heritage, where the "inch" on a tabletop battlefield was a common measure for distance, with varying scale factors depending on the mini rules in use.
The instance with the NPCs using 6" sticks was a typo, the use of inches in the main rules was indeed a confusing hangover from the game's wargaming heritage.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #33
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
This probably needs to go in the FAQ, this is the third or fourth thread on essentially this same topic. The definition of sticks that can't take the Fine (balanced) modifier is loosely specified in the original definition of the modifier, on Martial Arts p.216, and reads "Sticks – batons, clubs, quarterstaffs, wooden stakes, etc. – and improvised weapons can’t have fine balance."
When you add in possibilities like Essential Wood, Weapon Spirits, Dragon Bone Staffs, &c. a lot of these assumptions ought to be reconsidered.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #34
RyanW

I second Armoury, with a Carpentry default (and I'd listen to Artist (Woodworking) if someone wanted to default to that).

And now I get what's bugging me about this thread. How, exactly, is making a quarterstaff "fantasy"? Sorry, it's just that "fantasy==low tech" is my irk button.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #35
brianfb

It seems really dumb that a stick can be unbalanced, but not well balanced lol. I'm a big RAW guy though, just wish they always made sense.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #36
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
It seems really dumb that a stick can be unbalanced, but not well balanced lol. I'm a big RAW guy though, just wish they always made sense.
It's more "baseline level of balance for anything purpose-designed as a killing device is also the optimal balance for sticks purpose-shaped into killing devices; anything can be worse at hitting, but only some weapons can benefit from designs which will make them any better at hitting".

Tags
equipment, fantasy crafting