Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Spiritual Creatures [Fantasy/Horror/Powers]

In GURPS, spiritual creatures come in two broad types. The first type is the insubstantial and invisible denizen of the material world. The second type is the substantial and visible denizen of a spiritual world.

In general, I prefer the second type because they are generally easier to model, though they often have similar costs. Instead of having Insubstantiality (Affects Substantial, +100%; Usually On, -40%) [128] and Invisibility (Accessibility, Only While Insubstantial, -10%; Substantial Only, -10%) [32], for a total of 160 CP, they usually just have Jumper (Spiritual; Limited, -20%; Reliable +10, +50%) [130] and Vibration Sense (Sense of Perception, +100%; World-Spanning, +100%) [30], for a total of 160 CP. You also have other advantages and disadvantages, though that depends on the individual type of denizen.

What are the advantages if the second over the first? Well, the first is vulnerable to Affects Insubstantial abilities and is detectable with See Invisible and by machines, so there are definite disadvantages to being the first type of spiritual creature. In addition, the process of becoming material is easier for the second over the fiirst, as the second can stay material as long as they want.

So, which type of spiritual creature do you prefer? Do you like them being insubstantial and invisible? Or do you like them being travellers?

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 10-11-2019 at 09:30 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Hide

Default Re: Spiritual Creatures [Fantasy/Horror/Powers]

The second type is great; to me the deal breaker is that the first type requires spending FP to remain substantial, while the other type doesn't.

You could say the first type is always present (remains in this world), while the second type is not. So, the second type might flee to another dimension/world, while the other type simply won't. This could be troublesome when trying to avoid certain situations.

Also, the second-type is more otherworldly than the first.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Refplace

It depends on what your looking for, there is a third type - though its related to the second type you listed. Thats the Avatar (Jumper with Projection or other tricks) or Possession type.
Finally their is the Alternate Form type which can be more effective for the same points.

I generally go with an Insubstantial variation for those dealing with the material world. I generally leave the projector types for the more powerful spirits, though possessors can be either weak or major spirits.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
Varyon

It would depend on what metaphysics I want for the setting as to which I would use - namely, do I want there to be a Spiritual Plane of existence that runs parallel to the material world (ideally, one that looks like a twisted version of the material world, like the Spectral Realm from the Legacy of Kain series)? Or do I want spirits to simply inhabit the material world?

Also, your analysis looks to be missing something very important - the first version has abilities that can affect the material world while it's insubstantial and invisible (otherwise it would cost half as much), while the latter cannot. Perhaps even more important, it's also able to spy on the material world. Unless you're intending for Visualization to somehow do that, which makes no sense as it's just an ability that lets you get a bonus to perform some other task. Actually, you've got some modifiers on Visualization that don't seem appropriate - Sense of Perception is a Vibration Sense modifier that basically lets it work anywhere (air, water, vacuum, in a sealed suit, etc), while World-Spanning doesn't make sense for Visualization - so I assume you intended some other Advantage there, and were thrown off by the name. Clairsentience, perhaps? I guess Clairsentience (Reduced Range 1/10th -30%, World-Spanning +100%) [85] could work (projecting your senses to the corresponding location in the material world), but it A) leaves an end cost of [215] instead of [160] and B) requires you to concentrate for a full minute and then make an IQ-5 roll to actually use it. Attempts to fix B (Reduced Time, Reliable, etc) will make A more of a problem.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

I have no idea why I put Visualization, it should be Vibration Sense. I will correct it.

Anyway, the idea with the Vibration Sense is that it helps you 'peek' across the boundaries of the worlds. With Sense of Perception, you can 'see' through air, water, and vacuum.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 10-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #6
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I have no idea why I put Visualization, it should be Vibration Sense. I will correct it.

Anyway, the idea with the Vibration Sense is that it helps you 'peek' across the boundaries of the worlds. With Sense of Perception, you can 'see' through air, water, and vacuum.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Well, the second one has a far less precise perception of the main world, and it also can't actually travel through barriers like walls - it has to jump 'home', move, and then jump back. Also, the first doesn't need to risk getting shot up to attack, because of 'affects substantial'. Even without it it could use magic and psionic effects at a penalty. The second version is of course safer if it's not interested in interacting, just 'watching', as it's completely out of reach (aside from vs. other world-hoppers) and thus completely invisible. Oh, and the second ability might sometimes not work when you need it - the chance of success is capped at 14-, after all. As for the first ability, it has the potential to be improvable (so being substantial costs no FP, for example), and the second doesn't seem to have as much potential without adding whole new powers to it.

Overall, they are similar in some ways, but quite different in others, and I think they'd feel different in play.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

For Jumper, Reliable also increases the automatic failure threshold (Powers, p. 57). It is a special rule for Jumper. With Reliable 3+, there is really no automatic failure threshold.

As for the first one, Insubstantiality requires Affect Substantial (+100%) if you have any ability that can affect the material world, including magic or psi, and they are at a -3 penalty unless you also have Always On (-50%) or Usually On (-40%). So, a ghost mage or ghost psi must always have Affect Substantial unless they are limited to Insubstantial Only (-30%). For example, a telepathic Astral Entity would have to first spend 80 CP to add Affect Substantial to their Insubstantiality before they could remove Insubstantial Only (-30%) from their Mind Reading.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 10-13-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Visualization (Sense of Perception, +100%; World-Spanning, +100%) [30]
I'm not familiar with that construction. Where's it from, and how does it let you see across dimensions? I assume that's what it's there for.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I'm not familiar with that construction. Where's it from, and how does it let you see across dimensions? I assume that's what it's there for.
I think the first place I have seen that specific one is from him in another thread.
Both enhancements are from GURPS Powers and Plane Spanning is the key, and is listed as a variant of World Spanning.World Spanning.
So Plain Spanning lets Vibration Sense work across dimensions. The other modifier lets Vibration Sense work without relying on the atmosphere.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #10
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think the first place I have seen that specific one is from him in another thread.
Both enhancements are from GURPS Powers and Plane Spanning is the key, and is listed as a variant of World Spanning.World Spanning.
So Plain Spanning lets Vibration Sense work across dimensions. The other modifier lets Vibration Sense work without relying on the atmosphere.
So, I don't get the example from the book (powers). If I buy vibration sense, world spanning +50%... it means I can use vibration sense, but it only works to feel stuff in other dimensions, except mine... right? Then it means it loses its original purpose unless I pay +100%???

What if I want to sense my dimension and a single "other dimension"?