Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
phiwum

Default A minor comment about summoned bats

Just something I've been thinking about.

Summon Scout seems to have an obvious limitation. Small mammals can't open doors.

On the other hand, I missed the obvious fact that they rarely need to. I guess it's obvious that a mouse can get into a building or under a door fairly easily, but what I didn't appreciate until this summer is that bats can too. They can easily fit through any hole the size of a quarter, which a typical Cidri building is bound to have in abundance.

Some sites say they can use holes 3/8" wide, but I can't get my head around that. All I can figger is that they're talking about very small bats.

I learned about this when a bat entered my home three times this summer. Most likely, he'd found a way into the basement and from there he came into my living area. I think what happened is that I sometimes leave the lights on in the basement and he naturally headed up the stairs, where it was dark, and then under the door.

I have already used this fact to spy on my players in their home. If someone is awake, they'll most likely notice a bat unless he's crawling along the floor (which isn't natural, since they have to drop from a surface to take off), but that's fine. Even if the players guess they're being watched, it just adds suspense.

If you're devious, have a normal bat wander into your players' dwelling one night and throw them off their game. See if they react as I did: open the window, remove the screen and try using it as a shield to direct the bat to the window while the pain in the butt wife films the shenanigans. When this doesn't work, do the sensible thing: close the door, wait ten minutes and see that he will find the open window a lot easier if he's not dodging a screen wielding maniac.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
zot

Default Re: A minor comment about summoned bats

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Just something I've been thinking about.

Summon Scout seems to have an obvious limitation. Small mammals can't open doors.
A slinker might be able to open a door, depending on the door...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...09#post2200409
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
A slinker might be able to open a door, depending on the door...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...09#post2200409
I'd have a bit of trouble seeing how a slinker could turn a doorknob, given its location on the door, but maybe I'm unimaginative.

However, summoning a slinker is a great idea. The ability to abscond with stuff would be very useful.

ETA: The rules explicitly mention that slinkers can be trained to open doors or windows (ITL 94), so a summoned one surely could. I've only used slinkers once, but I feel like they're a useful nuisance. How do y'all use 'em? What sorts of items do they swipe? I imagine they go for purses, having learned they contain good stuff, but how many is the right number to go after a party of four?

Last edited by phiwum; 03-17-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
hcobb

Using Summon Scout to get a slinker is an interesting abuse of the rules.

You could use it to kill an average of a half dozen spiders or other small vermin at a cost of 1 fatigue.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
phiwum

I wouldn't call it an abuse. Summon Scout isn't all that useful, since an illusion or image can do a lot of the stuff a scout could do and much more. I think imaginative uses of small summoned mammals is great.

Let's hear it for the mammalian vermin.

But is it summoned like a myrmidon? The text suggests that the habitat matters. Is that just so the critter will blend in or is an animal nearby magically (and instantaneously) called?
Old 03-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
hcobb

Illusion can't kill mindless tiny spiders, or so I've heard.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #7
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Illusion can't kill mindless tiny spiders, or so I've heard.
Well, right, but you were suggesting that using a slinker to kill spiders is an abuse of the rules. Are you okay with other small mammals killing spiders? If so, what's so special about a slinker?

I guess it's pretty strong (ST 2) for a small mammal, but it's the same as a scum bunny in that respect. The real advantage of a slinker is, of course, that it can manipulate and grab stuff, but your post made it sound like the remarkable spider killing power of the slinker was abusive.

A wizard doesn't lack for ways to off spiders in any case, though Summon Scout is certainly a cheap solution. I can't think of any 1 ST spells that would be as efficient in terms of number killed, though not quickness (Blast or Shock Shield are better there).
Old 03-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
zot

Quote:
Well, right, but you were suggesting that using a slinker to kill spiders is an abuse of the rules. Are you okay with other small mammals killing spiders? If so, what's so special about a slinker?

I guess it's pretty strong (ST 2) for a small mammal, but it's the same as a scum bunny in that respect. The real advantage of a slinker is, of course, that it can manipulate and grab stuff, but your post made it sound like the remarkable spider killing power of the slinker was abusive.

A wizard doesn't lack for ways to off spiders in any case, though Summon Scout is certainly a cheap solution. I can't think of any 1 ST spells that would be as efficient in terms of number killed, though not quickness (Blast or Shock Shield are better there).
Illusions and images:
  • twice as expensive to re-energize outside of mega-megahex range
Summoned scouts can:
  • trigger traps (so you don't have to or to attack someone else)
  • damage inanimate objects
  • deliver things to you or someone else, like messages (this is probably a very popular one)
  • unlock doors that you can't get to (if you have a key or if they can steal it)
  • administer poison
  • set things on fire
  • deliver a blast trap, explosive gem, gas bomb, grenade, ...
  • ... omitting scatalogical possibilities

There are probably more uses for them that I'm not thinking of right now...
Old 03-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
phiwum

Where is the rule about double cost for re-energizing outside the mega-megahex? I'm missing it.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #10
zot

Quote:
Where is the rule about double cost for re-energizing outside the mega-megahex? I'm missing it.

Thanks.
Page 139, near the end of the image/illusion section. Also, images and illusions have a maximum duration of 5 minutes outside the mega-megahex range.