Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-22-2024, 08:59 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Mountain Elves

When I wrote this adventure,
https://www.hcobb.com/tft/The_Humongous_Fungus_Trip.pdf

I assumed that the note at ITL 77 meant that Mountain Elves lived in forested mountains, but it specially says "cities among forests or mountain peaks".
This is completely unlike the hill tribe half-elves of D&D.
So from what is given we can surmise that:
  1. They are urban, but not mercantile, hence their trades are based on social structures and not free markets.
  2. They are ruled by proud nobility (c.f. the mention under Dwarves)
  3. Business Sense is rare, but not forbidden to elves. This suggests a merchant class that exists as a lowly caste. (And possibly function as their diplomats to the lesser races outside their city walls.
I may have overlooked a TFT adventure that has these Mountain Elves, but if this doesn't exist I'll write one up.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:33 AM   #2
GeovanniDavis

Default Re: Mountain Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
When I wrote this adventure,
https://www.hcobb.com/tft/The_Humongous_Fungus_Trip.pdf getting over it

I assumed that the note at ITL 77 meant that Mountain Elves lived in forested mountains, but it specially says "cities among forests or mountain peaks".
This is completely unlike the hill tribe half-elves of D&D.
So from what is given we can surmise that:
  1. They are urban, but not mercantile, hence their trades are based on social structures and not free markets.
  2. They are ruled by proud nobility (c.f. the mention under Dwarves)
  3. Business Sense is rare, but not forbidden to elves. This suggests a merchant class that exists as a lowly caste. (And possibly function as their diplomats to the lesser races outside their city walls.
I may have overlooked a TFT adventure that has these Mountain Elves, but if this doesn't exist I'll write one up.

Thx for your sharing. This will be a document for me to take better precautions if I encounter a similar situation.

Last edited by GeovanniDavis; 01-29-2024 at 06:15 PM.
GeovanniDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:54 AM   #3
DeadParrot

Default Re: Mountain Elves

Cities can be many things. Most Elven cities in Cidri might be 2~300 inhabitants in size. Large enough to defend against "Things that hunt the night" but small enough to mostly blend in with nature. In such a city, if there is only one blacksmith, she doesn't really need business sense if the only other option for customers is traveling down the mountain to trade with the dwarves.

Another possibility is Elves have developed a form of economic Communism that works so business sense really isn't needed for intra group trades. "Produce what you can, take what you need", But abuse the deal and get staked out as food for "Things that hunt the night".
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote