Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Checking character formating

Once I get the character format perfect I'll circle around and complete the character parser to complain about well balanced daggers and such.

Before you hit the format button please be sure that you've set the cash budget in addition to race, attributes, talents and spells.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html
Old 12-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Checking character formating

It looks really nice!

I like that when you press "format" you can get a different variation of the character, sometimes with a slightly less optimal weapon. Not every ST 13 Ax/Mace wielder uses a morning star. Some characters prefer the small ax, even if it does less damage on average. It can be thrown and it's what they like and are used to.

It didn't give me a shield, even though I added shield talent. I guess that's coming later.

Again, very cool!

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
hcobb

Should I add in the Flaming Weapon enchantment when it is cost effective or when it is cool?
Old 12-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Should I add in the Flaming Weapon enchantment when it is cost effective or when it is cool?
It depends on the goal. If you want a super optimized character, who lives in a world where all that stuff is available, sure.

I like having exotic and enchanted weapons be something you have to quest for, not buy off the shelf. My reasoning is that if it's readily available, than everyone with the means will have one, especially the town watch, temple guards, etc.

So to accommodate a lower key style of play, you could make it a toggle. (Yet another feature...) :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
David Bofinger

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to do here. Is this for making PCs or NPCs? You write in class, attributes, talents & spells, etc, then you get their kit randomised?

If I were semi-randomly generating a character, whether PC or NPC, I might want to specify ranges for ST, adjDX, IQ, armour, etc., specify which types of weapons are preferred, say which talents it absolutely has to have and which are optional extras, and then have the character randomised within those ranges.

But I don't think I'd say, "I want them to have ST 11 and DX 11 but I don't care what their adjDX is." That would be weird because I'd have no idea how the character would perform in combat.

I'm not clear what this is for and I may not have used it right.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
hcobb

The ultimate objective is to parse the gear from a standard character listing and then pop up a box with say
"I'm sorry David, but there are no well balanced daggers"
The user then edits inside the dials and controls and hits format to get back their corrected character sheet with the corrected gear. The random gear is mostly just working my way up to that.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #7
David Bofinger

I was trying to ask: what is the purpose of the software as a whole? Is the idea that the player puts in a concept and the software fills in the details of a PC? Or that a GM puts in a concept and the software fills in the details of an NPC? Or something else?

Clearly it can't be to look at an equipment list, compare it with its own equipment list, and complain about items that appear on one but not the other. That's too trivial an objective to need what's been done.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
hcobb

It's like a spell checker for characters. Put in the standard formatted character and it will complain about non-existent or non-qualified talents and spells. I'm only going into equipment now to check the modifiers. Like some recent book that had a well balanced dagger, even though this is explicitly prohibited.

So the most basic use case is import a character, note the errors, correct and format out. The only reason why the random gear is in there now is to work out the issues with gear modifiers.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
Axly Suregrip

Henry,
Nicely done! I like this a lot. :-)
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:34 PM   #10
hcobb

I think I really ought to call
Gunpowders
as