Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #41
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Picking up a dropped weapon while engaged - when do you stand up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Scoop only works for one item.
I think Henry's point is his elf with MA12 can go half his movement by scooping two items at 3 MA each and then still use the unconsumed action for Dodging.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #42
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I think Henry's point is his elf with MA12 can go half his movement by scooping two items at 3 MA each and then still use the unconsumed action for Dodging.
Ah. Thanks for de-coding Henry for me. I didn't get what he meant.

But no, it's "a" weapon, not one weapon per 3 MA, nor per DX roll, nor per hand.

And yes, that's not utterly clear in RAW.

But the rules are getting clarified (sooner or later), and even though it doesn't say so, I have it on authority that scooping is meant to be limited to one per turn, only in hexes you're actually in at the time.

What's not certain is whether scoop is only available with Option (a) MOVE, or not. I believe the original intent was that it would allow some creative use, but not to be illogical, excessive, or too weird.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #43
Axly Suregrip

Skarg,
More than once above you said the scoop act may only be done for a weapon/item in your same hex. I cannot find this in the rules. The section on scooping (ITL 104) says nothing either way.

All I see about picking up items range is under options and it lets items be picked up from adjacent hexes.

Just curious where you got this from.

-kind regards
Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #44
hcobb

Logically if you could scoop up from an adjacent hex you'd get three attempts to pick up as you got to and then moved away from the hex.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #45
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Skarg,
More than once above you said the scoop act may only be done for a weapon/item in your same hex. I cannot find this in the rules. The section on scooping (ITL 104) says nothing either way.

All I see about picking up items range is under options and it lets items be picked up from adjacent hexes.

Just curious where you got this from.

-kind regards
I got it from talking to Steve recently. He's written some clarifying text on the various rules for picking things up and using them, which is quite relevant to the new Infinite Arenas product I assisted with, and when I brought up that it's not clear whether you can "scoop up" weapons from adjacent hexes (as you just wrote), he said no that's not the intention.

You're supposed to say which hexes you move through, which one item you're going to scoop up from one of those hexes, and if you don't spend +3 MA picking it up, you roll (once) to see whether you got it or not - if you miss, you complete your planned move but the object stays where it was.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:30 PM   #46
Axly Suregrip

Skarg,
Thank you for clearing that up. And it's really cool you know Steve.
-kind regards
-Alan