Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #51
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Advantages of Great Strength - bonus damage with weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Anomylous, everyone.

In my campaign for every 2 ST you are below the minimum to wield the weapon you are at -1 DX, and for every ST you are below the minimum ST to wield the weapons you are at -1 damage.

If you are 1 stronger you do +1 damage.
If you are 2 more stronger than that, you do +2 damage.
If you are 3 more stronger than that, you do +3 damage.
If you are 4 more stronger than that, you do +4 damage, etc.

Basically it is an arithmetic series.

Being a ST or 3 over the minimum ST of the weapon gives you a small bonus, but that bonus gets less and less very quickly. You rapidly reach the point of diminishing returns.

This is likely too complex for new TFT, (just use the right sized weapon), but it is well playtested and works well.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick's system is very good. I only have one caveat with it. There is no reason to wield a weapon comparable to your basic ST. It is better to chose a weapon one ST too small. Usually the same damage, but the lighter weapon is usually both cheaper and weighs less. But I know that Rick also uses rules for great effort, by which you can raise your ST temporarily. And if you do that on a regular basis, you want a weapon for you base ST.

But without great effort rules the system needs something more. Maybe a -1 DX for all undersized weapons. So people usually go for the right sized weapons, but in a pinch they can use a lighter weapon with almost comparable effect? Or maybe start the scaling at 2, 3, 4... instead of 1,2,3? Or +1 DX for handling a lighter weapon, but the scaling starts at 2, 3, 4.

The latter would give people some options. Lighter weapon with less damage, but +1 DX. 2 steps lighter weapon would give +1 DX and +1 damage but probably -2 damage from the much lighter weapon. So a legionaire with a shortsword (ST 11, 2-1):
ST.. 9 -1 dmg, -2 DX
ST 10 -1 dmg, -1 DX
ST 11 Normal
ST 12 ... dmg, +1 DX
ST 13 +1dmg, +1 DX
ST 16 +2dmg, +1 DX
ST 20 +3dmg, +1 DX
ST 25 +4dmg, +1 DX (For a monster or a magically buffed strongman.)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #52
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Advantages of Great Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
I was actually imagining it was the same exact sword, but a stronger fighter can drive it harder and do more damage. Maybe that's not how swords actually work, but players would certainly like that interpretation, because it would mean that they'd be able to wield any enchanted short sword they might happen upon for damage appropriate to their actual ST...
We are talking about two different systems here I think.

One is custom made weapons for a higher ST. A heavy Cutlass for ST 12, just a bigger version, for someone stronger and bigger.

The other is when said ST 12 guy swings a normal sized ST 10 Cutlass.

In my book the ST 12 guy with an oversized custom made weapon should do as much damage as if it were a Broadsword, so 2d.

But when the ST 12 guy swings a normal cutlass he should have some advantage over a ST 10 guy swinging the same weapon. So maybe 2-1. And the ST 10 guy swings for the normal 2-2.

A heavier blade in the hands of a stronger and bigger (ST is also size) person should do bigger wounds. But when you swing with a lighter weapon it would be more about follow thru and more secondary damage when you pull out, than it would be for a weaker person. But in the end a weapon can only do so much. Just remember that a stronger character can also strike faster not only put more weight behind it.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #53
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Advantages of Great Strength

Game mechanic and balance wise in the basic rules, swinging a 2-handed weapon in one hand should probably be 1 ST higher or 2 at the most. Just look at the versatile weapons we already have. Spear and Bastard Sword.

So it is not there we have an issue. I could throw in a weapon like that in my sim, just to make sure if anyone doubts it.

The issue is using a weapon made for only 2-handed use, and therefore very unwieldy weapon, in 1-hand. It would look more than a little strange, almost anime like. So from a simulation point of view ST +5 or even higher makes sense.

I think the better rule would be to allow heavier 1-handed weapons. No one, I think, would have an issue with a Broadsword made for ST 14, that you can't do Sweeping Blows with, but it can be wielded in one hand and it does 3d-2 for damage. Balance wise in a sim I don't think it would break anything.

The reverse is also true. Swinging a ST 11 axe in two hands for a weaker person should also be possible. I would probably say ST 9 or 10, but no chance for Sweeping Blows and you can't throw the axe without using it in one hand and have ST 11.

With the basic rules by wielding a 2-handed weapon, you forgo the possibility of a shield. Which is essentially +1 Armor and the possibility of a shield bash and enchantments. Now with the Shield Expert talent you forgo 2 armor and a DX penalty for the enemy at the cost of some talent points.

I would say that all 2-handed weapons probably should do a little more damage because of this. And a one handed weapon at the same ST level should probably be about 2 points below the 2-hander. Or the Expert talent for 2-handed weapons should give a little extra bonus like easier chance to do Sweeping Blows or increase damage by 1 more or something to compensate for not being able to wield a shield (that is now much better).

Versatile weapons should probably do .5 damage lower average damage in 2-hands, and then 2 less when used in 1 hand. Now it is only a 1 or .5 difference.