Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Maz

Default Magical DR stacking?

I'm still not used to GURPS Magic system, usually playing sci-fi.
So a couple of questions about how magical DR stack:

1) If I have any sort of armour that has been enchanted to provide DR, does this stack with the spell Armour?

2) Can I wear multiple layers of enchanted material each with it's own magical DR, all stacking together. (Say cloth+chain+plate)
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Stripe

Default Re: Magical DR stacking?

IIRC, this is in the FAQ. Too sleepy to look.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Maz

I didn't look in the FAQ before posting... but I did now and couldn't find it there :\
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Woodman

Not sure about 1 but for 2 i would use the normal layering armor rules and not care if the DR of each peace is natural or magical (B286 and LT103).
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Not sure about 1 but for 2 i would use the normal layering armor rules and not care if the DR of each peace is natural or magical (B286 and LT103).
I would rule as Woodman has as well. Additionally, I would allow one Armor Spell to stack with the enchanted armor. I'm not saying this is by the book (but it my very well be).

Think of it this way: nothing is getting double spelled--each piece of armor plus the individual themselves each enjoy one Armor spell.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-09-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I'm still not used to GURPS Magic system, usually playing sci-fi.
So a couple of questions about how magical DR stack:

1) If I have any sort of armour that has been enchanted to provide DR, does this stack with the spell Armour?

2) Can I wear multiple layers of enchanted material each with it's own magical DR, all stacking together. (Say cloth+chain+plate)
Personal Rulings:

Armor that has been enchanted to provide DR has the Fortify Spell (M66). I cant think of any reason that it shouldnt stack with an Armor spell, as the spell says that it is cumulative with that of actual armor. In addition, if you had living armor (say some body covering amoeba symbiote or even a dense set of vines that covered your body) Id allow armor to be cast on EACH of you. In other words, id allow the Armor spell to be cast on the Venom Symbiote and Eddie Brock. If however your body were covered in 55 well trained and somewhat adhesive chinchillas, Id allow up to 56 castings of the armor spell. For each hit location, you would get the benefits of the armor spell cast on you, AND the unlucky chinchilla that took the specific blow. If you had all 55 chinchillas stacked into one Freudianly Fierce codpiece of Furry Doom then attacks to your groin would have to blow through all 55 chinchillas, thier armor spells and finally the DR from your armor spell. Alternatively you can use hedgehogs....but do so delicately.

Im in agreement with Woodsman and CapJoy on the Second. Yes. Treat this as you would for any other layering of armor. The spells do not overlap as the subjects do not overlap. Fortify on my chain does not overlap with fortify on my Cloth.

Fortify +1DR on my Chain DOES overlap with Fortify +2 on my Chain and only the stronger of the two would have effect.

Armor +3DR on me and Armor +5 Dr on me DO overlap and only the Armor DR 5 would take effect.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 06-09-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Personal Rulings:

Armor that has been enchanted to provide DR has the Fortify Spell (M66). I cant think of any reason that it shouldnt stack with an Armor spell, as the spell says that it is cumulative with that of actual armor. In addition, if you had living armor (say some body covering amoeba symbiote or even a dense set of vines that covered your body) Id allow armor to be cast on EACH of you. In other words, id allow the Armor spell to be cast on the Venom Symbiote and Eddie Brock. If however your body were covered in 55 well trained and somewhat adhesive chinchillas, Id allow up to 56 castings of the armor spell. For each hit location, you would get the benefits of the armor spell cast on you, AND the unlucky chinchilla that took the specific blow. If you had all 55 chinchillas stacked into one Freudianly Fierce codpiece of Furry Doom then attacks to your groin would have to blow through all 55 chinchillas, thier armor spells and finally the DR from your armor spell. Alternatively you can use hedgehogs....but do so delicately.

Im in agreement with Woodsman and CapJoy on the Second. Yes. Treat this as you would for any other layering of armor. The spells do not overlap as the subjects do not overlap. Fortify on my chain does not overlap with fortify on my Cloth.

Fortify +1DR on my Chain DOES overlap with Fortify +2 on my Chain and only the stronger of the two would have effect.

Armor +3DR on me and Armor +5 Dr on me DO overlap and only the Armor DR 5 would take effect.

Nymdok
Next dungeon I am giving the self-righteous avenger in my (semi-silly) D&D campaign a set of chinchilla armor. That ought to take the wind out of his sails... Don't worry - I'll rule that it's soft enough to wear like cloth.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Next dungeon I am giving the self-righteous avenger in my (semi-silly) D&D campaign a set of chinchilla armor. That ought to take the wind out of his sails... Don't worry - I'll rule that it's soft enough to wear like cloth.
It will be absolutely pimp-tastic!

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
munin

"...multiple instances of a given spell do not “stack”..." (p. B237, M9), but instances of different spells do.

So multiple layers of Fortify won't stack (you only get the benefit of the best bonus), but the Armor spell does stack with the Fortify enchantment. DR from multiple layers of mundane armor stacks of course.

Although multiple instances of the same spell don't stack, they are all still on (unlike in Monster Hunters ritual path magic, where the lesser energy spell of the same spell effect just fizzles away). If someone dispels your best spell, the others are still there and the next best bonus goes into effect.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Woodman

Quote:
If either type of variable spell is cast on the same subject more than once, only the spell with the most powerful effects counts – multiple instances of a given spell do not “stack” or add in any way.
emphasis by me
The subject of the Fortify Enchantment is the specific piece of armor, not the wearer, thats why i would rule each Enchantment adds to the DR value normaly, but fades if the enchanted item breaks. Thats also why you need to keep track of the different armor layers, if a blow penetrates my plate, but is stopped by the underlaying mail, that blow counts aggainst the penetration threshold of the enchanted plate armor, eventually braking the enchantment.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor layering, damage resistance, deflect, stacking