Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Astromancer

Default [Path/Book Magic] An Emerald Primer

I'd like the hivemind's input on an idea. I'm thinking of setting up a fantasy game useing Path/Book Magic as the primary magic and Psi Powers as the advanced magic. But what this thread is about is Magic 101.

The question is, what would go into the basic magic text? With a nod to Hermes Trimegistus, I've chosen to call the basic book, The Emerald Primer. So what would be the basic magic? Going by folklore, myth, and literary tradition, what should magic 101 consist of?

Note: this book is a primer. So the spells should be basic, commonplace, and be both useful to beginers and old pros alike.

Thank-you for your time and attention.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
The Mage of Macungie

Default Re: [Path/Book Magic] An Emerald Primer

I'd start with the benevolent healing ones(Dose, Soothe, Succor and Slumber with Fertility and Vitality in a second tier and a third tier of Tirelessness and Warrior's Blessing). Depending on how many and how much you want a unifying theme, you could expand it into some of the Spirit path, especially if you use the "evil spirits cause disease" theory(Lay to Rest, Banish and Exorcise). Chaparone, Cleansing, Curse Mirror, Curse Sanctum, Dispel Ritual and Ward from the Protection path would also fit into this group. Finally, Virility from the Gentle Arts of the Floating World book could be added. If my count is correct that's 18 which might be a bit long, but you could easily prune it a bit, losing the third tier of Healing and Virility.
The Mage of Macungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
dataweaver

So I take it that you're going with Books? I'd definitely recommend looking at some of the lower-penalty Rituals from the Path of Protection; a magician who knows how to influence others but not how to keep himself and his friends from being influenced isn't likely to last very long. Beyond that, it really depends on what kind of magical tradition the primer is for: a hermetic tradition is going to teach different basics than a wiccan-style tradition, which in turn will differ from something voudoun-flavored.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Ward and Curse Sanctum
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Astromancer

I think your on solid ground Dataweaver, dismissing spirits and protection from spirits is most of what realworld shamans are called on to do. The Mage of Macungie and Sir_Pudding, good ideas. Thank-you.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Cernig

Start with creating/purifying a magical sanctum and magical instuments such as a knife or sword, wand, incense censer etc. (Or aiding your tutor to do so). Then add the ability to see what is not there, to banish it and to protect from it. Only after you learn to "put down" do you learn to "call up" and then move on to other rituals.

So...a basic grimoire might look like:
Cleansing
Ward
Curse Sanctum
Empower

Scry
Aura Reading
Dispel Ritual
Banish
Exorsize

Summon
Bind
Fetish
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Astromancer

I like your list Cernig. It's basic, pragmatic, and things any magical pracitioner would need to know for as long as they cast spells.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Astromancer

Does anyone do Paths as basic magic and Books as advanced Magic? If so what do you call the paths? Do they get their own books?

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
dataweaver

When I create magical styles using the Path/Book Magic system, I use Paths and Books in a manner analogous to a martial arts style's skills and cinematic skills, respectively. I usually call them Paths and Books, as I have no reason not to - although I sometimes prefer to use the term "Mysteries" instead of "Books".

I generally don't associate Books with Paths; rather, I associate them with magical styles: that is, each style gets two or three Paths that represent the overall kinds of magic that the style teaches (with another one or two Paths showing up in the list of optional skills), plus one Book representing the secrets of that style, generally requiring the magician to first be initiated into an inner circle of some sort.

If the gatekeepers of the style have several layers of secrecy or multiple factions with distinct approaches to magic, there may be multiple books corresponding to the additional layers and/or factions; but by and large, each style has one Book of secret rituals.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
When I create magical styles using the Path/Book Magic system, I use Paths and Books in a manner analogous to a martial arts style's skills and cinematic skills, respectively. I usually call them Paths and Books, as I have no reason not to - although I sometimes prefer to use the term "Mysteries" instead of "Books".

If the gatekeepers of the style have several layers of secrecy or multiple factions with distinct approaches to magic, there may be multiple books corresponding to the additional layers and/or factions; but by and large, each style has one Book of secret rituals.
I like this method.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path/book magic, thaumatology