Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 AM   #31
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [MA] Italian fencing description and the riposte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
We've always rolled hit location after the defense in my group, but I suppose it makes sense the other way around, and would help a great deal with risk assessment ^^ Do people usually roll hit location first?
Rolling hit location first is outright required to stay consistent with other rules. For instance, leg parries only may only be initiated against attacks that target the lower parts of a character. Or the fact that you are not supposed to waste time declaring/rolling a Parry if the attack misses. And whether the attack hits or misses will partially depend on what hit location the PC chooses (it usually doesn't depend on random hit locations though).

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 09-11-2017 at 05:42 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #32
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
We've always rolled hit location after the defense in my group, but I suppose it makes sense the other way around, and would help a great deal with risk assessment ^^ Do people usually roll hit location first?
We usually specify the target hit location before we roll the attack, but it amounts to the same thing.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #33
trooper6

Quote:
I don't roll for hit locations except in those instances where it specifically calls for it (shrapnel, falling damage, truly random things). But when, it is: roll for attack; roll for hit location; roll defense.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #34
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I don't roll for hit locations except in those instances where it specifically calls for it (shrapnel, falling damage, truly random things). But when, it is: roll for attack; roll for hit location; roll defense.
In my Cliffhangers campaign we often rely on random hit locations, for when attacker is not targeting a specific location. But I don't think we roll before defence, because the kinds of fight we have it rarely matters. Fights are mostly fisticuffs, where ordinary arm parries are fine - or simple melee weapons vs. other melee weapons.
But I do see a point for more finicky fights, that locations matter.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of the defender knowing in advance where he will be hit, before he decides if he'll bother with a defense. I mean, a fighter with a really good corselet and bare arms only parries if he'll take a hit to the arms.
On the other hand I suppose a skilled fighter can see where the blow lands. Plus when deciding whether to defend or not it's not like you're abandoning our next attack - that's only if deciding between AoD or normal. But in a fight against multiple enemies you risk 'using up' a parry on atrivial attack.

PS: In the old 'Millenium's End' technothriller rpg you rolled defence once attack was declared but *before* it was actually rolled. Because if defense is succesful don't bother with the rest. However that game did not (IIRC) have the All out options, or limited number of defenses per turn. However I guess there had to be a fumble chance.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It's often worth rolling random location with cutting weapons, rather than targeting torso, since nearly every location is good for cutting.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hema, martial arts