Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
DippyTTO

Default Skill cost question

I came across a fan-made GURPS supplement detailing FMA-style alchemy implemented as Symbol Magic. This document makes reference to a skill (specifically the "Body" symbol) as being an IQ/Impossible skill, with 1 CP purchasing this skill at IQ-20. Is such a thing ever referenced in an Official GURPS product, or is this strictly a fan-made way of making FMA-style Human Transmutation prohibitively expensive?
DippyTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Skill cost question

Strictly Fan Made.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
DippyTTO

Thank you. I thought it might be. I certainly couldn't find any reference to such a skill difficulty level in any of my GURPS library.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #4
Anders

The RAW way to do this would be to slap an Unusual Background cost on the skill. Not just anyone can buy this - it's worth more in this setting.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
DippyTTO

@Anders Thank you very much. I think I shall implement it that way
Old 07-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Varyon

GURPS skills never get easier than Easy (default to Attribute-4, [1] gets you to Attribute+0), or harder than Very Hard (default to Attribute-7, [1] gets you to Attribute-3). That said, if a GM opts to have some skills that are easier or harder, it's easy enough to work out the progression - each step easier is +1 to skill, each step harder is -1 to skill. Alternatively, the way GURPS usually handles "harder than VH" skills is to break them up a bit. For example, in Ritual Path Magic, the Path Skills are effectively harder than VH - you have to buy Thaumatology (itself a VH skill) first, and you can't get any Path above your skill in Thaumatology.

As a note for FMA in particular, how to handle this is going to depend on which continuity you're going with. For a homebrew setting based on FMA (the optimal way to do this, honestly - see here), you can go whatever way you'd like. For the rest, spoilers ahoy! For the manga (and Brotherhood):
Spoiler:  

For the anime:
Spoiler:  

In either case, I'd argue that any alchemist could theoretically pull it off (it's a hard "spell," but doesn't have its own dedicated Path), but you need to make a penalized Will-based Alchemy roll. Failure means you can't come back. Success means you can after paying the exit fee, and the more you succeed by, the less it costs. In fact, you probably have to succeed by 5 or more to actually survive the process of coming back - otherwise you come back missing too much to stay alive. Having a Philosopher's Stone probably reduces or eliminates the penalty (maybe even grants a net bonus), and the payment comes from the stone rather than the body.

For reference for the characters (note this has spoilers mostly for the manga, but by the nature of the two series many of these apply to both):
Spoiler:  
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Bruno

There is a sort-of step past "Very Hard" - Wildcard skills, which cost 3x as much as Very Hard skills.

These should really be used for a group of tasks that routinely swap between IQ or DX - if it's only ever IQ based, or DX based, you'll quickly start being cheaper to buy the base stat. If it's only ever Will or Per based, it's an even worse idea.

So if you require a bunch of IQ based rolls to prepare a spell, and then a very-critical DX based roll to cast it, or something like that, a Wildcard skill isn't a totally bad idea. But if it's basically just IQ (or IQ, and sometimes Per and Will) it's way better to have a 5 or 10 point unusual background.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyTTO View Post
I came across a fan-made GURPS supplement detailing FMA-style alchemy implemented as Symbol Magic. This document makes reference to a skill (specifically the "Body" symbol) as being an IQ/Impossible skill, with 1 CP purchasing this skill at IQ-20. Is such a thing ever referenced in an Official GURPS product, or is this strictly a fan-made way of making FMA-style Human Transmutation prohibitively expensive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Strictly Fan Made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyTTO View Post
@Anders Thank you very much. I think I shall implement it that way
Note that Techniques can easily default to a skill, even a Very Hard skill, at -20 (or worse).

That makes it impossible without a lot of training, which might be the desired effect.

Requiring an expensive prerequisite, such as an Unusual Background, for example, can then add to the starting cost as much as the GM wants.

Tags
fma, fullmetal alchemist, magic, thaumatology