Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Anders

Default Does Doesn't Eat or Drink include can't Eat or Drink?

Because not being able to eat or drink could ruin your cover as an Undead Lord of Darkness really quickly. If not, is it some sort of Supernatural Feature and how much is it worth?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Does Doesn't Eat or Drink include can't Eat or Drink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Because not being able to eat or drink could ruin your cover as an Undead Lord of Darkness really quickly. If not, is it some sort of Supernatural Feature and how much is it worth?
I don't think Doesn't Eat or Drink includes can't Eat or Drink. I'd say it's a quirk at most.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Engurrand

In my games, I have made the assumption that the advantage does not include that disadvantage. My PCs can appear to eat if they so choose. I have no sources or citations for that assumption. I'm just optimistic enough to think an advantage should list it's qualifications.

As a supernatural feature, Cannot Eat seems no more damning than No Body Heat at [-5]. IMO.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
In my games, I have made the assumption that the advantage does not include that disadvantage. My PCs can appear to eat if they so choose. I have no sources or citations for that assumption. I'm just optimistic enough to think an advantage should list it's qualifications.

As a supernatural feature, Cannot Eat seems no more damning than No Body Heat at [-5]. IMO.
In fiction, the Gods can go without food for centuries, but, they like to eat anyway.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Anthony

I would be somewhat inclined to say yes, but it's no more than a perk or quirk either way.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Depends. I'd say you wouldn't derive any useful nutrition from food, but is that really the issue here?

As an Undead Lord of Darkness, you should be perfectly able to pour things down your own throat. Mind you, you might need to stand on your head for a while and have them pour back out occasionally to empty your stomach, but that's not so severe a drawback.

If you have it because you are an Insubstantial Energy Cloud (TM), then yeah, you probably can't pretend to eat or drink successfully.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
In fiction, the Gods can go without food for centuries, but, they like to eat anyway.
I kind-of meant rule-book citations. But yeah, fiction is abundant with examples of beings who don't have to eat, but can (Gods, ascetic sages, spirits of every shape and color, zombies). There are fewer examples of things that don't have to heat, and also can't (I have vague memories of a fairy-tail about someone who was cursed thusly, but no identifying details, and nothing else springs to mind).

As to cost, I'd say [-5] IFF the feature clearly identifies you as something specific, which is a bad thing to be. Otherwise, it's at most a quirk and maybe not even that.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
MWnRNC

Quote:
I kind-of meant rule-book citations. But yeah, fiction is abundant with examples of beings who don't have to eat, but can (Gods, ascetic sages, spirits of every shape and color, zombies). There are fewer examples of things that don't have to heat, and also can't (I have vague memories of a fairy-tail about someone who was cursed thusly, but no identifying details, and nothing else springs to mind).

As to cost, I'd say [-5] IFF the feature clearly identifies you as something specific, which is a bad thing to be. Otherwise, it's at most a quirk and maybe not even that.
A specific example I can think of are vampires, particularly in the World of Darkness setting. They generally can't eat anything except blood without severe discomfort and bloodily vomiting it up a short time later unless they expend their blood resources to appear living.

Since maintaining the secrecy of their existence is pivotal to the game, I could see it being worth -5 points in a similar setting. Personally, I would find someone I spent regular time with and never saw eat or drink to be unusual. Think of how many meetings, particularly evening ones, that go down at restaurants or bars. You can only not participate a time or two without being thought of poorly. This principle may be even more applicable in a medieval or fantasy setting, where travelers are offered food and wine as a matter of traditional hospitality and it is insulting to refuse.
MWnRNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
There are fewer examples of things that don't have to heat, and also can't.
There are plenty of things that don't have to eat, and also can't -- various sorts of golems, constructs, elementals, skeletons, ghosts, ...

However, for the most part those things are obviously unnatural and would not be trying to pass for human by eating.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Terwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWnRNC View Post
A specific example I can think of are vampires, particularly in the World of Darkness setting. They generally can't eat anything except blood without severe discomfort and bloodily vomiting it up a short time later unless they expend their blood resources to appear living.

Since maintaining the secrecy of their existence is pivotal to the game, I could see it being worth -5 points in a similar setting. Personally, I would find someone I spent regular time with and never saw eat or drink to be unusual. Think of how many meetings, particularly evening ones, that go down at restaurants or bars. You can only not participate a time or two without being thought of poorly. This principle may be even more applicable in a medieval or fantasy setting, where travelers are offered food and wine as a matter of traditional hospitality and it is insulting to refuse.
I think the ability to eat/drink without the need to eat/drink is more color than anything else.

If you don't eat/drink because you are a robot and your 'mouth' is a speaker, then obviously you cannot eat, on the other hand, if you do not need to eat/drink because you are a monk who has been trained by a master and you can meditate for months on end with no degeneration due to not moving eating or drinking, then I see no reason not to let you eat when food is available.

Also, Slight of hand(DX/H) seems like the go-to skill for pretending to eat when it is expected but you would rather not.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, disadvantages, doesn't eat or drink, forcefeeding