Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2016, 01:32 AM   #71
2ndPope

Default Re: [Sorcery] Spellbook project

Aren't Skönja Vitner and Vitnaskönja the same spell with diffrent names?

Hvitja (Light) - I'm aware that I'm being a ruleslawyer here, but I do not think the affliction build works as intended.

• Cosmic: Affects objects as well as people, +50%
All afflictions with effects not negated by Immunity to Metabolic Hazards works on objects normally. They do ge a resistance roll.

• Cosmic: No Die Roll Needed, +100%
This remove the need to hit with the affliction. It does not remove the need for a affliction HT roll. Rules as written - NOTHING can remove that resistance roll.

The problem here is that with the existing rules there is no easy way to simulate a light-source. The basic rules for Sorcery Empowerment makes keeping a light-source up, without taking up your spell-slot and costing a FT every minute, difficult. I understand the choice of using a affliction with this spell. The only thing I can think of at the moment is to add:

• Cosmic, no resistance roll needed for willing targets, +100%

Other suggestions?
2ndPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #72
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndPope View Post
Aren't Skönja Vitner and Vitnaskönja the same spell with different names?
Yep. Vitnaskönja removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndPope View Post
Hvitja (Light) - I'm aware that I'm being a ruleslawyer here, but I do not think the affliction build works as intended.

• Cosmic: Affects objects as well as people, +50%
All afflictions with effects not negated by Immunity to Metabolic Hazards works on objects normally. They do ge a resistance roll.

• Cosmic: No Die Roll Needed, +100%
This remove the need to hit with the affliction. It does not remove the need for a affliction HT roll. Rules as written - NOTHING can remove that resistance roll.

The problem here is that with the existing rules there is no easy way to simulate a light-source. The basic rules for Sorcery Empowerment makes keeping a light-source up, without taking up your spell-slot and costing a FT every minute, difficult. I understand the choice of using a affliction with this spell. The only thing I can think of at the moment is to add:

• Cosmic, no resistance roll needed for willing targets, +100%

Other suggestions?
Well, willing targets can always waive the resistance roll... hmm. Maybe I should base it on Will, since normal objects don't have Will. That would be a nice bit of rules-lawyering, wouldn't it? :o)

I'll have to think about this and see how it functions in the game.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #73
2ndPope

Willing targets can always waive their roll in opposed rolls. Otherwise you have to succeed on your HT to get the benefit.

We could use the Light spell from Thaumatology: Sorcery s19 but say that instead of having 1 minute duration, the spell lasts only 10s as in standard Create. But if you put aside 1 character point as "Creation Pool" it will stay as long as you commit the point. Even if you cast another spell. If you remove the "Creation Point" from the created light it is extinguised.

This would also mean that you can have several created lights at a time but each uses a committed character point.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #74
2ndPope

A mobile created Light spell from Thaumaturgy: Sorcery has a full cost of 15 character points. 3 character points to learn as a spell. Add 1 character point for "Creation Pool" and you have a cost of 4 points to learn the spell. That is the same cost as you gave Hvitja (Light).
Old 09-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #75
Anders

Not a bad idea. I'll think about it.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #76
Kalzazz

Wouldn't the creation pool method run the risk of getting your light dispelled before you can reclaim the creation pool and thus you lose a CP permanently?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #77
Anders

Created energy is not unstable and is can't be stabilized. At least that's how I read the rules. Presumably it dissipates normally.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #78
2ndPope

You are correct. Damn it.

Create 1 = 1.000.000 J = 0.28 kWh = 280 Watts work for 1 h

A modern LED lamp have a luminous efficacy of 90 lumens/watts.
280 watts x 90 lumens/watts = 25 200 lumens.
Daylight (not direct sunlight) has a Lux (lumens/sqm) of 10.000-25.000
10m radius = 314 sqm —> 80 Lux
Sadly that equals the lighting in your toilet. But that is if the light lasts 1 h

If it only lasts 10 min as in the original spell Anders wrote, it will have higher output per time unit.
We then get a lumens that is 6 times higher. Total 480 Lux. Which equals the light in a normal office-building workarea. Not as bright as Daylight but maybe close enough.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:00 AM   #79
2ndPope

Hvitja (Light)
Keyword: Area (Fixed)
Full Cost: 15 points
Casting Roll: IQ
Range: 100 yards
Duration: 10 minutes
You can summon an mobile area that are brightly lit. The light is bright enough to eliminate all darkness penalties in a 10-yard radius. The light does not blind anyone looking at it, even if you look directly at it. You can concentrate to move this area 1 yard per second.

Statistics: Create Visible Light 1 (Accessibility, Limited to lighting a 10-yard radius, -40%; Magical, -10%; Mobile, +40%; Ranged, +40%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%)

Last edited by 2ndPope; 09-09-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:00 AM   #80
Bent

Dear Anders — I just came across this by chance just now. Say, did you ever finish translating all the DoD6 Magi spells into English. If so, we'd love it if you could share a PDF with us. We're a Danish role playing group (always DoD), so we struggle with the spells names sometimes. You can reach me at ranfuingoth@gmail.com. Thank you.
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery, spells