Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Tallor

Default After the End + Mass Combat..?

I'd really like to make a sort of miniature Mass Combat game focusing on societies being rebuilt. Going with ATE's mechanic, units would generally be from the TL0-5 block with a few expensive exceptions.

My biggest worry is the overlaps, making mistakes on if a unit should be a Fine quality low-tech one or simply an expensive high-tech one. I'll keep you updated on what I find!
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Tallor

Default Re: After the End + Mass Combat..?

TL4 Musketeers with Good equipment ended up being effectively Line Infantry of TL5, so that worked out well!

Cavalry Pistols (TL6, TS 12) vs Mounted Rifles (TL6. TS 20) are a whole other story. The latter has higher troop strength at the same cost and has Recon! I would suppose that tactically, Cav Pistols would be more heavily armored and armed, focusing on melee combat and harassing the enemy with gunfire. The Mounted Rifles would be more like the ol' dragoons--mounting, riding, dismounting, shooting, rinse and repeat--with less armor and a focus on ranged tactics.

Flavor-wise, it's a cool distinction, but since the Mounted Rifles are objectively better in stats, it's frustrating.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Tallor

The worst offender is the Draft Team, who's high-tech version becomes prohibitively expensive. The trusty teamsters from old times has TS 0, which is just fine since they don't need to fight. The high-tech Draft Team, however, has TS 2--but is effectively four times the price! The ATE rules are quite punishing for them.

My headcanon is that the TL6 Draft Team gets its TS of 2 from the secondary driver carrying a shotgun. :P
Old 07-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
The Benj

Subscribed!
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
PK

Just to ask a possibly obvious question: Do you have Pyramid #3/88: The End Is Nigh? David Pulver's "Warlords of the Apocalypse" article is explicitly about blending GURPS Mass Combat and GURPS After the End.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Subscribed!
Thank you!
Old 07-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Just to ask a possibly obvious question: Do you have Pyramid #3/88: The End Is Nigh? David Pulver's "Warlords of the Apocalypse" article is explicitly about blending GURPS Mass Combat and GURPS After the End.
I will be back!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
Tallor

New unit ready!

Mutant Sappers
Recruited from the winding subway tunnels of demolished cities, these former humans (or their descendants) were hit with a slow dose of radiation. The lucky survivors lived long enough to gain mutations which gave them particular advantage over ordinary humans. Their lungs and liver systems are incredibly robust, and their glowing eyeballs can see quite well in the darkness of the lightless metros. A side effect of underground living and mutation has caused them to be terribly day-blind.

As a balancing point, they're also mutants--making contact with them is an adventure on its own!

Type: Miners
TS: 2
Class: Engineering
WT: 1
Mobility: Foot
Raise: ---*
Maintain: $18,000*
TL: 4
Special Abilities: Rad resistant; Nocturnal; Sealed (only vs toxins and rads)

*Mutant Sappers are mercenaries by default, and charge x1.5 for their services. Long-term contracts are possible at x1.25, but involve careful negotiation. If a charismatic leader manages to establish a sort of Mutant Quarter in their society, they may recruit Mutant Sappers as any other unit. Cost $60k, $20k to maintain.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Tallor

So today I learned that Battlesuits are almost exactly Riflemen with Very Fine equipment and Neutralize Air+Armor. :P

Tags
after the end, mass combat