Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: newb help? innate melee attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
Sorry for the double post again.

An additional question;
how much should it cost or is there an enhancement that would give an innate melee attack the parry bonuses of a fencing weapon?
Just "make it as" a Fencing Weapon. It gets all the good and bad of being a Fencing Weapon.

EI: It's a best a +0% Enhancement as it comes with plenty of bad.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
onetrikpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Just "make it as" a Fencing Weapon. It gets all the good and bad of being a Fencing Weapon.

EI: It's a best a +0% Enhancement as it comes with plenty of bad.
Ah, good point. Thanks
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Ah, good point. Thanks
Though note Anaraxes point above. The PC will also need their skill with it to be a "Fencing Skill" (which would just be a fencing skill).

So say you built "Fencing Long Talons" (which are just Long Talons, that are considered Fencing capable). You talked your GM into letting you take either Rapier (and using on the Talons) or the GM gives you a Fencing Talon skill.

You know suffer Enc penalties to your Parry and cannot Parry flails, but you get +3 to Parries on a Retreat and only suffer -1 for iterative Parries.

If the GM allows you to build the claws as "Either Fencing or Regular" (which should also be a +0 Enhancement), then you could decide each round whether you were position your self and the Talons in a Fencing stance (and thus using Fencing) or in a 'standard stance, and thus using another skill (I recommend Karate!).

With the Form Mastery (Talon) Perk you can swap between Fencing and not-Fencing as needed!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #24
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Huh? you can only have 80% limitations. Right?

IDK. I meant that ST-based costs +100% per die of strength based damage. a crushing attack cost 5 points per die. I wasn't adding any limitations. Which I know is inaccurate because that 5 points is reduced by the Melee attack limitation (-30%)

Here's my analysis:
Conad buys ST 20 [200] and gets to hit people with a sword for 3d+3; [200cp]
Alien buys ST 20 [200] +0 die of cutting appendage [7] Melee attack C -20% and ST-Based +100% and he gets to poke people for 4d+2 [213cp]

Swing damage is increased by 1 die for every 4 points of Striking Strength cost; [20]
Every die of ST-based damage costs the value of (levels) of the damage type + 70% the value of (levels) of the damage type.

So to increase the damage you do by one die you can buy 4 points of Striking Strength [20] or 1 die of ST-Based Innate Melee Attack [crushing 9, cutting 12, impaling 14]
an average savings of 40%
If you only want to boost your damage with swords, you add One Attack Only (-60%) and only pay [12] to add 1 die. Conveniently enough, that's exactly equal to buying an ST-Based Cutting Attack, except that you can use magical or ultra-tech swords with no additional point cost. Let's see who wins the duel when Conad has a nanothorn blade, and swiftly cuts through Alien's armor.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:39 AM   #25
starslayer

I have made a lot of use of ST based innate attacks. I have always found it pretty balanced.

Pros:
1. Its always available, you clench your fist, shout your power word, or however you turn the power on and your weapon is in hand. It never gets taken away during a checkpoint/search.
2. You can put some unusual enhancements on it (effects insubstantial, link, extended duration <to prevent healing>, cosmic <ignores DR>, destructive parry
3. Majority of the effectiveness will come from ST, which has other applications, like more hit points, and gets discounts for large size or no fine manipulators (And you don't need fine manipulators to use an innate attack)
4. It has no weight.
5. It cannot be destroyed.

Cons:
1.It costs character points
2. It can't benefit from getting enchantments done to it.
3. You can't find a replacement as part of a treasure reward
4. Vulnerable to power nullification depending on modifiers you put on it.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innate attack