Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Barghaest

Default Re: Damage Resistance (Blunt Trauma Only)

I'm still leaning towards just a variant of Injury Tolerance... say:

Injury Tolerance: Resilient Frame (5 points) - You are immune to Blunt Trauma. You have no protection from normal damage sources without DR, but the impact caused by blows striking DR is safely diverted instead of rattling your innards around.

Of course the logic of why impact upon your armor causes no damage but a mace to your unprotected locations would is still up for debate... then again, No Blood prevents bleeding but not the multiplier for impaling/cutting causing more damage to your internal organs... and No Eyes prevents damage to your eyes but doesn't make you blind... so it's pretty much up to the PC/GM to create the logic on their own anyway...
Barghaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I wonder what happens if you layer rigid DR under flexible DR. Say, Rigid DR 100 under Flex DR 10. Does the 2 injury ignore the DR100 below? I think logically it shouldn't, even though the RAW does not state this exception.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I wonder what happens if you layer rigid DR under flexible DR. Say, Rigid DR 100 under Flex DR 10. Does the 2 injury ignore the DR100 below? I think logically it shouldn't, even though the RAW does not state this exception.
Logically it should, except you only get that 2 injury if you suffer a 110 damage attack. The rigid 100 DR protects against any blunt trauma from a 100 damage or less attack.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
As per Basic, p379, "If even one point of damage penetrates your flexible DR, however, you do not suffer blunt trauma." So, moot point for any attack dealing 11 or more damage, and the rigid armor is what would logically absorb the force from an attack dealing 10 or less damage.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Logically it should, except you only get that 2 injury if you suffer a 110 damage attack. The rigid 100 DR protects against any blunt trauma from a 100 damage or less attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
As per Basic, p379, "If even one point of damage penetrates your flexible DR, however, you do not suffer blunt trauma." So, moot point for any attack dealing 11 or more damage, and the rigid armor is what would logically absorb the force from an attack dealing 10 or less damage.
I'm not talking about 110 or 11 damage.

10 damage, so 'one point of damage penetrates' does not happen. So it produces 2 blunt trauma from hitting FlexDR10. And then there's rigid armour below it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I'm not talking about 110 or 11 damage.

10 damage, so 'one point of damage penetrates' does not happen. So it produces 2 blunt trauma from hitting FlexDR10. And then there's rigid armour below it.
Logic applies. The rigid armor prevents the blunt force trauma, as rigid armor is not subject to blunt force injury (except in long falls).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
I wonder what happens if you layer rigid DR under flexible DR.
Well, RAW generally doesn't let you do it because the only armors that can be layered under other armors are flexible, but realistically, the flexible DR ceases to function properly and is reduced by 50-75%. A layer of padding would work but basically gives you armor layering penalties without increasing DR.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-16-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
Culture20

DR doesn't follow armor rules.
"You may have multiple 'layers' of DR with different combinations of modifiers. You must specify the order of the layers - from outermost to
innermost"
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #19
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Except the flexible armor only actually matters if you do more than 100 damage; it doesn't do anything whatsoever if you do less than that.

It doesn't matter if you say the layering is flexible over rigid or rigid over flexible - either way the exact same thing should happen, and that's that blunt trauma occurs if you deal 100-110 damage.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blunt trauma, damage resistance