Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Whome?

Default I had 28 people show up to Play Gurps SteamPunk at All-Con

I had 28 people show up to Play Gurps Steampunk at All-Con. And this was after 16 people showed up to play Munchkin Zombie. That game is well loved by all who play it - a true class act.

Now - this has happened to me before - 4th time in fact. Before, at a Starwars Convention - Gurps Starwars drew 20 and at an X-Files convention Gurps X-Files drew 22. Finally, Gurps Martial Arts drew 18 players at a regualr gaming convention (OK, it was Gurps Martial Arts - Resident Evil.

So - this is my record for highest attendance. I do come prepared - with 30 character sheets and 3 adventures, one for 6 people, one for 12 people and finally one for 13 plus.

I want you to know, this is not Brazil or Germany but - Seattle, LA, Dallas and not 1992 - but all four times since 2007.

Why? I think I've figured out how it happens and I'm going to try to get a large game going at A-con.

Here are some facts:

1) It was the most fun Gurps game I've ever ran. I had a blast and so did ALL the players.

2) Yes - I LARPed it. No choice here except ask people to leave and I won't do that. I actually enjoy LARPing Gurps to be honest.

3) Finally since all the players loved it - ALL said they would look into Gurps - they were impressed with how flexable Gurps really is. I did try to match the pictures on the characters sheets with the costumes they were wearing.

4) Lastly - I did bring my Gurps 4e Hardbound Full Color book collection for the players to drool over - they especially liked the latest book - "Low Tech".
For Steampunk - I actually use the rules for Victorian Science Fiction as published in Gurps Space, 4th edition - page 29.

I did bring 'Zombie Dice' with me in case I had a no-show but fortunately I never have to run impromptu Zombie Dice games for this reason.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Gef

Default Re: I had 28 people show up to Play Gurps SteamPunk at All-Con

Awesome. Lately I haven't encountered many folks willing to give GURPS a try. Nice to know it's just a problem with where I live. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

28 people... for Steampunk... How awesome! Good for you, and good exposure for the system *two thumbs up*

Prang... I miss going to cons:|
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
whswhs

Thank you for helping to keep my book in demand. I'm glad a good time was had with it. And thanks for tempting more people to try GURPS.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
mook

Wow! That is really awesome to hear, but worrisome personally - I'm hoping to run a couple of con games for the first time ever in a few weeks, and if 20+ players showed up I wouldn't have the first clue of what to do.

Good on ya. :)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
Apache
On Notice

You would think, given the current popularity of steampunk, that SJG might consider re-releasing GURPS Steampunk for 4e, if only as a PDF.

You would think, anyway.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
Sam Cade

Wow!!

13 people!! You are der uber-GM!!

You have some serious GM chops my friend, bravo!

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Whome?

Needless to say, I'm open to this - 28 people showing up and lI do ove running large games.

If you DON"T want this to happen:

"Wow! That is really awesome to hear, but worrisome personally - I'm hoping to run a couple of con games for the first time ever in a few weeks, and if 20+ players showed up I wouldn't have the first clue of what to do."

Use a sign-up sheet with 6 slots MAX - and tell people if they show up over the six slots that you are open to running additional sessions.

My sign-up sheets are 1 - infinite for the amount of players.

As for Steampunk, as well as Cyberpunk - there are 4e Gurps rules in Space and Ultratech.

Additional e23 publications for Steampunk, Cyberpuink and how to run Gurps as a LARP would sell well in my book.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
wabishtar

How DID you run GURPS as a LARP?
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabishtar View Post
How DID you run GURPS as a LARP?
I can see ideas on how to do this but you know I am curious how you did it as well. LARP is still kinda popular in my area and it might help me convert some of them over.
And SE should help and be useful in LARP as well.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, larp, space