Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Hanuman47

Default Damage from Removing Impaling Weapons

Are there rules for the damage dealt by removing arrows and similar projectiles? I've been scanning through Characters, Campaigns, and Low Tech and all I can find is a reference in Low Tech to barbed arrows doing half the damage the inflicted going in when they come out. Are there more general rules somewhere that I'm missing?

By the way, what's at stake here is that the one long-time hold-out on GURPS in my game group may be finally coming round because of the realistic injury that GURPS supports. We generally play more cinematic games and haven't used a lot of the more detailed rules, but I'm trying to convince him that this is what he's looking for for a more realistic campaign.

Thanks for any help the GURPS community can provide!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
ed_209a

Default Re: Damage from Removing Impaling Weapons

I would rule that unless the impaling weapon is barbed, it wouldn't do extra damage coming out,

If bleeding rules were in use, I would give much friendlier bleeding rolls while the weapon was still in. Perhaps even ignoring the penalty from the amount of damage done.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman47 View Post
Are there rules for the damage dealt by removing arrows and similar projectiles? I've been scanning through Characters, Campaigns, and Low Tech and all I can find is a reference in Low Tech to barbed arrows doing half the damage the inflicted going in when they come out. Are there more general rules somewhere that I'm missing?

By the way, what's at stake here is that the one long-time hold-out on GURPS in my game group may be finally coming round because of the realistic injury that GURPS supports. We generally play more cinematic games and haven't used a lot of the more detailed rules, but I'm trying to convince him that this is what he's looking for for a more realistic campaign.

Thanks for any help the GURPS community can provide!
There's nothing in Rules As Written (RAW), but it's come up in a few threads.

I recommend this post as the way to handle it.

There's also a good thread on "Leave it in, or take it out?" Dependant on HOW gritty you want to get, it can get pretty hairy - I recommend hal's post for taking it all the way. :)
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Dunadin777

I'd say that pulling out an impaling weapon would require a DX roll by whoever's doing the pulling. If the wounded person is pulling it out of himself, then a penalty should be applied for sure. On a failure, the removal does another 1 HP damage or 2 HP on a critical failure. Or something like that.

The bigger issue, as I see it, would be bleeding complications. The results of the DX roll should probably add some penalty to bleeding rules, too, depending on your preferred level of detail and realism.

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_209a View Post
I would rule that unless the impaling weapon is barbed, it wouldn't do extra damage coming out,

If bleeding rules were in use, I would give much friendlier bleeding rolls while the weapon was still in. Perhaps even ignoring the penalty from the amount of damage done.
I don't disagree with what Ed_209a is saying here.

However, the rules you're looking for, which you can use or not, are for swung impaling weapons: Check out Picks, pp. B405-406. This is where you'd start, if you decided that not just swung/impaling weapons, but all impaling weapons, should do damage on removal.

Still, he's right: unless the weapon is barbed, you probably won't be doing more structural damage here. You MIGHT rule that if you're using the optional rules for Bleeding (Optional Rules for Injury, p. 420), that removing such a weapon triggers another bleeding check, or a bleeding check at a penalty.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Gigermann

Something that occurred to me recently, FREX with a typical spear: Do the melee rules assume a thrust and retraction, or just the thrust? I'm presuming it does include the retraction, but then what happens if you don't retract? "Grappled?" What about "pushing/pulling through?" (Or have I missed that somewhere?)
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
Something that occurred to me recently, FREX with a typical spear: Do the melee rules assume a thrust and retraction, or just the thrust? I'm presuming it does include the retraction, but then what happens if you don't retract? "Grappled?" What about "pushing/pulling through?" (Or have I missed that somewhere?)
It's not explicit. Yet. :-)

dhc
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
It's not explicit. Yet. :-)
That is gonna be a fun book :P
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Bruno

My players are looking forward to it.

It happened one session that a mounted knight (PC) did a ride-by attack a bandit (NPC) and used the thrust/impaling mode on his Longsword (from MA). And play stopped, while we all wondered if he'd lost his sword from that stunt or not. The Player voted his PC would hold onto it for grim death even if that resulted in being yanked right off his mount and/or dislocating his shoulder (family heirloom and relevant mental disads) but we couldn't figure in a reasonable time how to even wing it, and I politely asked him to just drop the damn sword and we'll worry about it later.

So if you can handle things like that, it would be greatly appreciated :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
And play stopped, while we all wondered if he'd lost his sword from that stunt or not.
Well, he could always break it instead. Any impaling wound that goes through the target (HP? HP*2?) should be highly prone to the weapon getting stuck, lesser wounds I'd expect it to be an uncommon occurrence.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrow wounds, damage type, harsh realism, injury