Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Parrying "Low Kicks" With Judo (Martial Arts)

On parries with legs or feet: GURPS Martial Arts, p. 123 makes clear that only Brawling or Karate works, and only vs. "low-line attacks," defined as attacks on the feet, legs, or groin. Use the usual Parry score.

On parries against attacks with legs or feet: Any parry can try this, but Boxing (per p. B182) and Sumo Wrestling (per p. B223) are at -2. The Low-Line Defense technique (Martial Arts, p. 77) can buy off this -2. Yes, "low-line" is used differently here, but note that it qualifies "defense" and not "attack."

For Judo, the summary is that no, you can't use your legs or feet to parry, but yes, you can us your hands to parry enemy attacks that use any part of their body to attack any part of your body, and there's no penalty. For instance, you can use your full Parry score vs. a stomp to the foot or a kick to the knee.

You can turn on the optional "Low-Line Parries" rule (Martial Arts, p. 124) if you feel that hand parries should be less effective against low-line attacks. This gives -2, which is a different -2 from the one built into Boxing and Sumo Wrestling parries: That -2 is for parrying kicks, regardless of hit location; this -2 is for parrying attacks on your lower body, regardless of attack type. Using Boxing or Sumo Wrestling to parry a kick to the leg would have -4!

Using a Judo parry to set up various attacks requires some judgment.

I'd let a Judo parry vs. an arm or a weapon set up an Arm Lock even if the target of that arm or weapon was the foot, leg, or groin; such a parry involves the judoka's hands (because Judo doesn't include leg and foot parries), so those are now close to the attacking limb. If it seems like a (literal) reach, put that optional -2 on the parry . . . but if the parry works anyway, Arm Lock follows normally.

I'd say that a Judo parry vs. an attack with the knee, shin, or foot can't set up an Arm Lock but can set up a Leg Grapple. Note that Leg Grapple doesn't work on attacks vs. the groin, leg, or foot . . .

And I'd say that any successful Judo parry can set up a Judo Throw. There are 60 or 70 standard throws in conservative capital-J judo alone; other styles add more. Among the traditional throws, at least six are commonly said to be responses to Jujutsu- or Karate-style kicks. It makes perfect sense to me that if someone hands you their leg, you can retort by dumping them on their butt. Whether this is "better" than Leg Grapple followed by a Leg Lock or takedown is subjective . . . it's a faster way to put a kicker on the ground, but it doesn't give you a grapple or lock on their body, so it's over and done with once you do it. You can't proceed to break their leg, drag them around, etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Using a Judo parry to set up various attacks requires some judgment.

I'd let a Judo parry vs. an arm or a weapon set up an Arm Lock even if the target of that arm or weapon was the foot, leg, or groin; such a parry involves the judoka's hands (because Judo doesn't include leg and foot parries), so those are now close to the attacking limb. If it seems like a (literal) reach, put that optional -2 on the parry . . . but if the parry works anyway, Arm Lock follows normally.
Unsurprisingly, Technical Grappling expands on this, adding a "Grabbing Parry" technique/option that is basically "aggressive parry for Judo/Wrestling/Sumo" that establishes a "weak" grapple that allows a sensible follow-up with a lock on your own turn. There are a few things in TG that tamp down the spectacular awesomeness that can be Arm Lock, but in general, if you want to get detailed about grapples, between the Basic Set, Martial Arts, and concepts or direct stealing from Technical Grappling you've got yourself covered.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #13
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
But yes, if you aren't in Close Combat, you have to Step into Close Combat for Arm'Wrist Lock. Judo Throw does not have this requirement.
Does parrying a limb counts as close combat even though the body of the opponent is at reach 1 (or further if he has Long Legs of bigger SM). I thought this was the whole reason why you could do all those sniffy things with Reach C attacks after a successful parry.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
Plane

I think in TG if you are kicked by someone who isn't in your hex, only their foot can be targeted by reach C stuff like grapplers who lack super-long arms. I think Cole wrote you should use the "slip" option to enter the attacker's hex if you want the Grabbing Parry to hit the leg and note the foot.

Attackers with super-long legs I'm not sure about. If you had reach 2 kicks, the knee would probably be in the middle hex which neither party is occupying, I don't know if that would let you target the leg or still only be able to target the foot if that's the defender's maximum reach.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harsh realism, low line parries