Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
thulben

Default Re: [The Company][Kromm] Treating bullet wounds in a jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Keep in mind that The Company is what Kromm does for fun. I wouldn't want to impinge on that, or increase his already-impressive workload. It's great that he shares such complete campaign write-ups on his blog. If he can add quick notes on the rules he used in different situations, that would be amazing, but not if it's burdensome for him.
While in the world of my dreams, the GM is the one doing the annotation, I fully realize that that's not feasible. I appreciate just seeing the session notes.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post

Getting used to that took me a bit of mental adjustment, but it's worth it. It definitely pushes a GM towards collaboration with the players, rather than contesting things, since they have so much more time available than the GM to look things up. And I'm fine with that.
Yep. I find that it adds a lot to the game to have the players determining trip times for international flights, reading about the guns they saw their enemies carrying, and so on. It makes the events in the game seem more real. It's one of the great joys of running a modern-day campaign. Of course, we occasionally get Gunther and Cheeky Girls videos, too, when somebody fails at Sex Appeal or Singing . . . This is life.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
apoc527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yep. I find that it adds a lot to the game to have the players determining trip times for international flights, reading about the guns they saw their enemies carrying, and so on. It makes the events in the game seem more real. It's one of the great joys of running a modern-day campaign. Of course, we occasionally get Gunther and Cheeky Girls videos, too, when somebody fails at Sex Appeal or Singing . . . This is life.
Using iPads and Google Earth is amazing for modern day gaming. It works so well, particularly if the GM uses Google Earth to save pictures of his locations and then annotates them. I got a lot of mileage out of that technique, and that was for a post-apoc game!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Using iPads and Google Earth is amazing for modern day gaming. It works so well, particularly if the GM uses Google Earth to save pictures of his locations and then annotates them. I got a lot of mileage out of that technique, and that was for a post-apoc game!
I found just the opposite. The game that I'm a player in right now is set in a small town in Spain. There happens to be Google Street View coverage of the town. More than once, we've spent a bunch of time trying to find just the right angle for what the GM wants to show where a simple description would have actually been more real for me. I guess it was the break in the flow for me.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post

I found just the opposite. The game that I'm a player in right now is set in a small town in Spain. There happens to be Google Street View coverage of the town. More than once, we've spent a bunch of time trying to find just the right angle for what the GM wants to show where a simple description would have actually been more real for me. I guess it was the break in the flow for me.
Thing is, real people do actually spend tons of time looking around and doing nothing very "story relevant." I just say, "Okay, so you guys look around for an hour. It's an hour later." Unless it's an action scene, in which case I tell people to use their turn or lose it. Seems to work!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet removal, harsh realism