Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Great Haste on Spellcasters

My interpretation of the rules is that a spell which calls for multiple seconds to cast, such as Great Haste itself, requires 3 seconds rather than 3 concentration maneuvers to cast.

I know spells can be cast faster at higher spell skills. I'm just wondering if the rules are clear that someone who has multiple maneuvers a round can not concentrate multiple times to speed cast a multi-second spell.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Great Haste on Spellcasters

Casting times tells you how long you need to concentrate for toncast a spell. A spell that takes 3 seconds means you need to concentrate for 3 seconds. If the caster somehow has more maneuvers than normal per second, weather from great haste or having compartmentalized mind, each of those count as a "second". Time to cast is relative to the casters sense of time, if you can perceive time faster than others then you can cast faster.

So:

someone who has multiple maneuvers a round can concentrate multiple times to speed cast a multi-second spell.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
finn

My instinct was that Great Haste does speed up spell casting.

Reading page 8 and page 9 of Spells, "turn" and "second" seams to be used interchangeably. The spell description of Great Haste says you perform two "maneuvers" in a "turn", so I could see a GM ruling that Great Haste does not speed up spell casting.

If this came up during a game I ran as a GM, I would allow faster spell casting. It's cool, and there is room to interpret that the descriptions in page 8 and 9 are based to the standard cases where a character can only make one concentrate maneuver per turn. I would rule that it does not rule out faster spell casting by characters that can perform multiple Concentrate maneuvers per turn.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
If the caster somehow has more maneuvers than normal per second, weather from great haste or having compartmentalized mind, each of those count as a "second".
Compartmentalized Mind (CM) only exists in DFRPG as a monster trait. The description of the trait in DFRPG Monsters doesn't go into very much detail, but in the base GURPS rules CM gives you two independent minds, effectively giving you two concurrent maneuvers (one of which must be mental; the other can be either physical or mental). This means that the two separate "minds" can only work together on things where two independent people could work together; thus, they cannot speed up spell casting, psi, or other mental tasks but CM would allow you to cast two spells at the same time or to cast a spell while taking a physical maneuver.

As for Great Haste, it doesn't just give you two maneuvers per second the description specifically says the two maneuvers happen consecutively, not concurrently, meaning that it allows you to not only do extra things but to do them faster. So Great Haste would allow you to cast spells faster, taking multiple consecutive concentrate maneuvers.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
As for Great Haste, it doesn't just give you two maneuvers per second the description specifically says the two maneuvers happen consecutively, not concurrently, meaning that it allows you to not only do extra things but to do them faster. So Great Haste would allow you to cast spells faster, taking multiple consecutive concentrate maneuvers.
This is always how we have done it in Peter Dell'Orto's Felltower campaign.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
mburr0003

Of course, inversely if as the GM you don't want Wizards Great hasting themselves and then pumping out spells twice as quickly, Great Haste is still great for a Wizard as they can cast and All Out Defend, or cast a Missile spell and throw it in 1 second.

But since GH is mostly going to be used on the Wizard and then on all the Wizard's friends... the greatest damage it will do tot eh enemies is when it's on the Knight, Barbarian, Scout...