Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
cjfreddy

Default Question about Hireling

Me and my friends have been playing and they are using Hireling in a way that doesn't seem at all fair to me.

So what happens is when I'm level 9 fighting a level 1, they will discard their hireling so I can't fight it, saying that the card says "any combat".

I know it's what the card says but I really don't see this as fair use. Help?
cjfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Question about Hireling

They are playing it wrong. Hirelings can only be discarded for an automatic escape in a combat involving the owner of the hireling. And even then it's voluntary.
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
cjfreddy

THANK YOU. This has been the bane of my existence these past few nights.
cjfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Clipper

Note that this is also explainable purely by the text on the card as well. The Hireling from Munchkin and Munchkin 3 says that you may discard it for an automatic escape from any monster. That means that you must be the one escaping; it would need to mention the other player if you could allow them to escape instead.

This is in addition to the fact that any effect that only allows an automatic escape will never force you to Run Away.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Rurik

I have a question about the hireling as well. If a player already has a big two hand item in play and in use, can they equip their hireling with a second big two hand item(player not a dwarf)and receive the modifier? I understand that the card says allows you to do what you normally could not, but I didn't know if that simply applied to class/race restrictions, or something along those lines. Not equipping in a slot already taken.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I have a question about the hireling as well. If a player already has a big two hand item in play and in use, can they equip their hireling with a second big two hand item(player not a dwarf)and receive the modifier? I understand that the card says allows you to do what you normally could not, but I didn't know if that simply applied to class/race restrictions, or something along those lines. Not equipping in a slot already taken.
The Hireling (found in Munchkin and Munchkin 3) carries and uses any one Item for you, Big or Small, Race/Class restricted or not, no matter how many Hands it needs and you have available, or if it takes up a "slot" (e.g., Armor) you are already using. The best way to look at it is a Cheat! card that also gives you a +1 bonus. You can also switch which Item the Hireling is using for you, which you can't do with a Cheat! card.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote