Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #61
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
"Thanks, but I really feel it's something he should address himself. I know a big part of it is that he's not thinking about consequences, and that's really on him. And I know he doesn't see that, but he really should ask. It's the mature thing to do."
"He should, but he won't. He sees you're chilly towards him, he thinks you're classist, he's not going to poke that bear. To him, he has the answer.
"Without knowing which thing you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean about 'consequences'. I do know that sometimes he does things that are going to backfire in the short term...but that he sees long term and sometimes esoteric gains from taking that hit. The problem I see is when he lets other people take that hit with him. Or for him. Like the screechy noise thing. That could have ended really, really badly. For all he knew the Archangels would go rabid on him and tear him apart in front of everyone. You and I know better, but he didn't. He gambled, thinking that if he succeeded they'd see he was a force to be reckoned with, and if he failed he'd be dead and better off that way. Figured there was no point living in a world with hairtrigger Archangels...and just assumed the others would be okay with witnessing that, or possibly being killed themselves. Presumptuous, but I don't think it was an oversight."
Quote:
"I think we should check on him, make sure he's okay."
"I think so too. Call him? And ask if he's out of L.A. before saying too much else?"

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 06-06-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: hit post instead of preview
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #62
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
"He should, but he won't. He sees you're chilly towards him, he thinks you're classist, he's not going to poke that bear. To him, he has the answer.
"Without knowing which thing you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean about 'consequences'. I do know that sometimes he does things that are going to backfire in the short term...but that he sees long term and sometimes esoteric gains from taking that hit. The problem I see is when he lets other people take that hit with him. Or for him. Like the screechy noise thing. That could have ended really, really badly. For all he knew the Archangels would go rabid on him and tear him apart in front of everyone. You and I know better, but he didn't. He gambled, thinking that if he succeeded they'd see he was a force to be reckoned with, and if he failed he'd be dead and better off that way. Figured there was no point living in a world with hairtrigger Archangels...and just assumed the others would be okay with witnessing that, or possibly being killed themselves. Presumptuous, but I don't think it was an oversight."
"That shirt he gave me, he never told me he was experimenting with it. I trusted him that he knew what he was doing. If I had known that he needed help to see if it worked, he could have asked me. I would have agreed to it, but because I didn't know, that put me in a bad spot. If it didn't work I wouldn't have known to prepare myself for that. And that really hurt me, more than anyone will know. You don't do that to people you call friends. I am tired of playing his games. I am tired of listening to him and wondering what he meany by that, what he said, what he didn't say. It's too much work just to talk to him. My friends have more respect for me than that. I tried being his friend, I tried reaching out and I tried being nice. It doesn't work. So yes, I am keeping my distance. It's safer that way...for a lot of reasons...but, that's not relevant. It never was."

She looks at Corat curiously

"Why do you ask?"

Quote:
"I think so too. Call him? And ask if he's out of L.A. before saying too much else?"
"Hey Mitch, what's up? Haven't heard from you in a while and thought I would call and see how things are."

She shrugs

"Nothing fancy. He's a Seraph, he'll figure out the rest"

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 06-07-2011 at 01:42 AM.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #63
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"That shirt he gave me, he never told me he was experimenting with it. I trusted him that he knew what he was doing. ...."

She looks at Corat curiously

"Why do you ask?"
"I think you nailed it on the head there. He expects others to trust him, but he doesn't trust others. Anybody. Reality itself." Corat sighs, then laughs. "Try not to take it personally. I've known him for going on ten years now, and I've been his guinea pig about as long. It lessens with time, when his curiosity is sated, but it never quite goes away.
"As for the shirt..." Corat's finding it difficult to defend his friend and recruit in this situation. "I doubt you were in any danger. He does wards every day, and wouldn't have made any serious mistake. I'm not saying he was right..."

He wonders visibly whether he should drop this conversation.

"He does keep people at a distance, and I don't think it would hurt anything if you did the same."

((OOC I'm enjoying Hell out of this thread, but it is a one-on-one. Assuming Puck isn't sitting on loads of free time, shall we reconvene the group on in-game Monday?))
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #64
alexondria

Quote:
((OOC I'm enjoying Hell out of this thread, but it is a one-on-one. Assuming Puck isn't sitting on loads of free time, shall we reconvene the group on in-game Monday?))
(I'm good with that just as long as you don't mind us doing Zahira's phone conversation with Mitch either somewhere else or maybe just backdate it since it's just a side tangent and not likely to effect actual plotty things)
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #65
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"He does keep people at a distance, and I don't think it would hurt anything if you did the same."
"I have to, John. That was a really bad day for me. I lost too much. I can't do that again."

Quote:
(OOC: Sure, I'm good. I'm just following your cue)

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 06-07-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #66
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
"Eh," Eli says with a grunt. He doesn't usually travel in such a large vessel, or up such mountains. Being de facto on the run made things like that awkward. "Don't worry so much about the hammer. It wasn't about getting it so much as to see whether he knew where it was and whether he'd be honest with you about that. Any sense of whether he was telling the truth? Could you get any sense of that?"

((Eli's resonating you, Mercurian style, wants to know your relationship with Ryuki at this point. I'll trust you to randomize and shoot back the results to me, under cut please or in PM.))
"It seemed like he was tellin' the truth ... as far as he knew it, anyway," Kane says. "Of course, even if he's right about the hammer bein' grabbed by a demon, no tellin' how many times it's changed hands since then." A small smile crosses his face, as Kane remembers a hymn book in the 1860s that was more than it seemed -- and that bounced around the landscape like a jackalope on coffee.

"He wants to work with the good guys," Kane goes on. "But he doesn't want to cut ties with his family, either. If he's gotta choose between bein' a Soldier and bein' a son, right now he's gonna choose bein' a son." He ignores the minor irritation of the mosquitoes. "But I can tell he doesn't want to have to choose; there's a fighter in there, however mixed-up he might be sometimes."
Quote:
"Sounds like he's got an interesting family," Eli scratches the strategic stubble that passes for a beard in this vessel. " Dead uncle, bratty sister...I wonder if the uncle's really around or what he'll do if he isn't and is just watching for signs? Divination...nasty business. Might as well roll dice and shut your brain off when you get the results. Now this medium..." he rummages through a backpack and tosses an Enquirer onto your lap. "Not page three, more like the ads in the back. Though I warn you, guy like you it'd be like wading through paper mud."
The ads in the back elicit a shudder. For a moment, Kane is very grateful not to be a Seraph.

"Yeah, it's not exactly the sort of family they put in the Rockwell pictures," he agrees. "The dad's interestin', though. Half the time, he thinks he's come down too hard on Ryuki. Other half, he thinks he's not hard enough. Part of bein' a Dad, I guess -- and the fact that he even thinks about it puts him ahead of some folks I've seen."

(OOC: I'll PM the relationship information when I have a moment; Tuesdays are a little jam-packed.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 06-07-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #67
Puck

Quote:
(Friday afternoon)

"Hey Mitch." The goofiness was dropped like the costume it was. "Just checking on you. I see you've got the thugs hanging around your place too. From what we can gather they're doing this with every known angel in the city--which is dumb really, because now we know which ones they aren't aware of." He sets the slightly scuffed box on the counter. "So far though they haven't messed with anyone. We've advised the angels not to cross them, but that's just common sense. We're just trying to figure out who's leading them, and why they're doing this now. Maybe you can help--we got pictures of the demons hanging around. Maybe you can identify some?" He pulls a thumb drive out of his pocket and looks for a computer to plug it into. While he's getting set up, he gets conversational. "How are you holding up today?"
Mitch makes a face out the window "I wonder what's on their minds, or maybe just a show of strength. I'm doing well, oh, besides missing a friends graduation party thanks to this lot." He jerks his thumb out at the demons and the flips though the pictures. He pauses on Dennis's photo "Him I know, goes by Dennis. He redemeded recently, thank God. I'm not sure if he's in town still though."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC
(Saturday)
He doesn't pick up his phone, but calls you back in the early afternoon. There's the loud white noise of airplane engine in the background--he's on a flight. "Hi Mitch. Sorry I couldn't answer before, but we were taking off...I'm headed over to see my girl. Damn, wouldn't it be awkward if I'd had a boy?" He's in good spirits, but it's clear there are strangers within hearing range.
"Oh? Glad to hear it. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see you. Has it been awhile? How was the party? Hope I didn't miss anything interesting. Congradulations on graduation."
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #68
Puck

Quote:

"Hey Mitch, what's up? Haven't heard from you in a while and thought I would call and see how things are."

She shrugs

"Nothing fancy. He's a Seraph, he'll figure out the rest"
OOC: I'm assuming this takes place after Mitch's call to Ryuki

IC: Mitch picks up the phone "Hello? Oh! Sunae, how are you?"
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #69
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
OOC: I'm assuming this takes place after Mitch's call to Ryuki

IC: Mitch picks up the phone "Hello? Oh! Sunae, how are you?"
(OOC: OOPS! That was Sunae's suggestion to Corat, so HE would be the one to call. He had asked Sunae what she thought he should say to Mitch without making it obvious it was another angel checking on him, in case the phone was bugged or someone was within earshot. I should have clarified. Sorry!)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #70
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Mitch makes a face out the window "I wonder what's on their minds, or maybe just a show of strength. I'm doing well, oh, besides missing a friends graduation party thanks to this lot." He jerks his thumb out at the demons and the flips though the pictures. He pauses on Dennis's photo "Him I know, goes by Dennis. He redeemed recently, thank God. I'm not sure if he's in town still though."
"This was taken about an hour ago," the soldier says, clearly unhappy about giving you the news. "On Fig just north of Pico." Locals know that Fig is short for Figueroa Street, and the address is near the Staples Convention Center. He puts a comforting hand on Mitchim's shoulder. "There has to be a good explanation."

Quote:
"Oh? Glad to hear it. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see you. Has it been awhile? How was the party? Hope I didn't miss anything interesting. Congratulations on graduation."
"Every week when I can help it. The company has an office in Honolulu, and we lease a 'private executive suite'--my ex-girlfriend's guest house--on the..." some old instinct kicks in, almost too late, "on some prime beachfront. Life is good when you don't burn your bridges.
"And thank you. I'm afraid you did miss something interesting, but best we talk about that in person. I should be back in town Monday evening."

Tags
in nomine