Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Making Pick lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
What you need to do is consider what output you want to use and build altlists to support that output. GCA offers list(), aliaslist() and alt1list() to alt5list(), so you can have up to 7 different lists with different outputs.
Thanks Eric, that did not work either. It did not prompt for any choices past the first but that probably fixed with a variable change.
The main problem I see is your code did the same as mine in not specifying a type.
The append -6 didnt work but one problem at a time, why wont type() work here?

Addendum, I think its inheriting the default.. The value wont go up if I increase Ritual Magic but once I raise Ritual Magic high enough I get a blue d next to the Affinity skill. I am really thinking that if the type issue can be resolved this will work.

Possible clue. Relative level is -IQ and changes as I modify IQ. Level just sticks at 0 Not sure if thats helpful.
If I look at the full edit window it shows IQ/H
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 11-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #12
Armin
GCA Prime

Would you please post your test file somewhere, and tell us what files you're loading, so that we can use the same base files and assumptions as you are?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Would you please post your test file somewhere, and tell us what files you're loading, so that we can use the same base files and assumptions as you are?
Ok, here is the link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oDn...ew?usp=sharing

Using the top item under skills currently. That made the skill name cleaner
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #14
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, the problem is the upto(SK:Ritual Magic). Ritual Magic requires specializing, the upto(SK:Ritual Magic) doesn't specify a specialty, hence it breaks, limiting the skill to the determined level of 0.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Okay, the problem is the upto(SK:Ritual Magic). Ritual Magic requires specializing, the upto(SK:Ritual Magic) doesn't specify a specialty, hence it breaks, limiting the skill to the determined level of 0.
Ah! I just did a test with moving one of the skills to the skills section and it behaves the same way.
Hmm so change upto(SK:Ritual Magic) to upto(SK:Ritual Magic (Lantern)) should work if thats the Ritual Magic specialty?

Testing now with a clean skill
Affinity (Magic), type(IQ/VH), default(SK:Ritual Magic (Lantern) - 6, SK:Symbol Drawing - 6, SK:Thaumatology - 6), needs(SK:Ritual Magic | SK:Symbol Drawing | SK:Thaumatology), upto(SK:Ritual Magic), page(00), cat(Affinity)
Does not work but I think you have me in the right direction, I shall go through some datafiles to see about the right format to add the specialty.

Thank you both Armin and Eric
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 11-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
Armin
GCA Prime

Should have, but apparently doesn't. I only get it to work if removing upto() entirely. Not sure what the deal is. (Or making it a number. Something odd.)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #17
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, yeah, it should work with "SK:Ritual Magic (Lantern)" if you include it in quotes. I also had to Recalculate Everything to get it to recalc and start working correctly after I edited things in GCA.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ah! I just did a test with moving one of the skills to the skills section and it behaves the same way.
Hmm so change upto(SK:Ritual Magic) to upto(SK:Ritual Magic (Lantern)) should work if thats the Ritual Magic specialty?

Testing now with a clean skill
Affinity (Magic), type(IQ/VH), default(SK:Ritual Magic (Lantern) - 6, SK:Symbol Drawing - 6, SK:Thaumatology - 6), needs(SK:Ritual Magic | SK:Symbol Drawing | SK:Thaumatology), upto(SK:Ritual Magic), page(00), cat(Affinity)
Does not work but I think you have me in the right direction, I shall go through some datafiles to see about the right format to add the specialty.

Thank you both Armin and Eric
You need the bold bit to be this: upto("SK:Ritual Magic (Lantern)") and you need quotes around it in default(), too.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #19
Armin
GCA Prime

Parens are math operators, so if you specify a name that includes them, you need to enclose in quotes or braces.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
Refplace

I got it to work with the single skill. As you said I need quotes around the default and upto but that was no big deal.
Next Ill mess around with Inputreplace I think to see if I can make it user defined and still work.

I have been closing GCA then restarting and removing then adding back the datafile to refresh my changes.
It seems to cache the datafile upon loading so delete then add wasnt working.

Your advising just recalculate after removing then adding the datafiles?

You been a lot of help! Sorry I'm not getting the hang of this faster.
My GURPS Wiki entries