Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Rip/Criticize my character: Angela Copperfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If it became known to the general public that she wanted to make herself into an incarnation of a deity, I think that someone as well known as her would suffer lose her positive reputation and gain a negative reputation from everyone, everywhere. In addition, she would also probably get enemies in the form of Christian extreme fundamentalists, as they would very much love to kill off such a prominent witch.
I disagree. If I'm religious, I think she's deluded and doesn't have a chance of succeeding. not worth my effort. If I'm not religious, I probably still think she's deluded and doesn't have a chance of succeeding, and is still not worth my effort. This is at worst a delusion, and I don't think she even needs that.

Religious activists generally target other religions, cultural influences (including philosophers, scientists, and media figures), or political figures, and she doesn't fit into one of those categories.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #42
AlexanderHowl

She is a Multimillionaire with Status 5 and a global reputation, I think she qualifies.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #43
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
She is a Multimillionaire with Status 5 and a global reputation, I think she qualifies.
I don´t think they would bother much, and if they get too agressive it would probably fit into the description of hate crime. But more importantly, how´s it fair to the game? Let´s say someone makes the concept and "invention" rolls, then pay the propaganda costs. How do you justify adding a negative reputation? I get that if the rolls are failed, the reputation shifts two levels into the negative, and if it´s a critical fail it shifts four levels into the negative... but shifting it always into the negatives no matter what?

I don´t know if you´re religious, but if you are, do you hate people who don´t share your religious views or who follow different ones? Do you also hate every other religion preachers? If you´re an atheist, do you hate all religioners and their leaders?

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-19-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 AM   #44
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Actually the thing would go like this:

Financing roll:

15/multimillionaire+5/time required x30 months (this lowers status to 4 for two years and a half)-10/funding
seed money=0.5M*2^10=512M

Cultural change roll:

Lower of Theology and Religious Ritual-22 (or -27 if there were no precedent)

Considering she employs in average sixteen years (if she is 180-220 IQ SB, otherwise the time required could be up to twenty four years) solely learning Theology and Religious Ritual, this is the best she could do in both cases:

20+11/150 helpers or more, with average assets costs of 4.68M which could reach 468M for BAD-7 against intrusions+1/versatile-22/Amazing difficulty(-5/no precedents) => Roll against 10 (or 5)

With 4d6 drop lowest for time required:
Success in an average of fifteen months with a cost of $20 per believer.
Success in an average of about thirteen to fourteen years with a cost of $200 per believer.

With roman church maximum rank being 8:
First case
You spend 512 million dollars to gain 25.6 million religioners (which could justify the purchase of Religious Rank 6).
Second case
You spend 512 million dollars to gain 2.56 million religioners (which could justify the purchase of Religious Rank 5).

And if she wanted to start a "major" religion to purchase religious rank 8, for two hundred million religioners that would cost:

First case four billion dollars, plus minimum assets of 6.24B.
Second case fourty billion dollars, plus minimum assets of 6.24B.

What does "religioners" stand for anyways? People who reacts to you at +1 (+2 if critical success) or +2 (+4 if critical) if someone used the Going Viral technique.

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-19-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #45
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I don´t know if you´re religious, but if you are, do you hate people who don´t share your religious views or who follow different ones? Do you also hate every other religion preachers? If you´re an atheist, do you hate all religioners and their leaders?
So, you have a cabal of supervillains but no groups are allowed to hate any of them? Centuries of religious strife are just ignored? Seriously? Your character, rich, famous, and insane will meet with resistance from all sides as she tries to take control. While some will do so for religious reasons, more will do so because she is flat out dangerous. OTOH, if she was Poor and Status 0 nobody would really care ...

I question the worldbuilding your GM has done (or not done).

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #46
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
So, you have a cabal of supervillains but no groups are allowed to hate any of them? Centuries of religious strife are just ignored? Seriously? Your character, rich, famous, and insane will meet with resistance from all sides as she tries to take control. While some will do so for religious reasons, more will do so because she is flat out dangerous. OTOH, if she was Poor and Status 0 nobody would really care ...

I question the worldbuilding your GM has done (or not done).
Isn´t the Enemy disadvantage enough and designed just for that? Do you grant extra points out of negative Reputation (Only enemies)? I consider Reputation to be a different thing, and while some are mentally disturbed, those facts aren´t publicly known at least just yet. If the proposal rolls are failed, of course they would gain temporary negative reputations, but imposing them if the rolls succeed means that there is virtually no difference between failure and success. This is my opinion.

Ps. The resistance which they could be met with is already to be represented by the BAD applied to their rolls, isn´t it?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #47
AlexanderHowl

Not really. Since they are supervillains though, they are going to have entire governments going against them. The genocidal biochemist will probably be the primary target, but her allies will also be targets, meaning that they will all be running from CIA kill squads from day one. I mean, you might as well give your character Enemy (CIA, Hunter, 12-) [-60] to begin with because she will get it anyway with the first biological attack against a NATO target by her ally.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #48
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Not really. Since they are supervillains though, they are going to have entire governments going against them. The genocidal biochemist will probably be the primary target, but her allies will also be targets, meaning that they will all be running from CIA kill squads from day one. I mean, you might as well give your character Enemy (CIA, Hunter, 12-) [-60] to begin with because she will get it anyway with the first biological attack against a NATO target by her ally.
Well, they´re not allies actually, they´re all independent characters each pending their own affairs. And they're not evil per se, they are just complicated. The bioengineer, for example, thinks that the world is heading towards its own self-destruction with weapons of mass destruction, pollution, deforestation, global warming... And most of the others are simply ambitious to the limits of their own skills, but none have done anything really serious apart from the hacker, who is secretly responsible for several financial crises and stock market crashes such as August 2011 stock markets fall (which is represented by Secret Identity (World-class dangerous hacker; Possible death) [-30]).

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-19-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #49
AlexanderHowl

They are 'evil' to the governments of the world, and it really does not matter what their individual motivations are. Governments go after people with extremists beliefs all of the time if the individuals possess the resources to make those beliefs reality. Look at the FBI in the USA, and its questionable use of undercover agents to get the most vocal religious extremists to commit to terrorist attacks against the USA in writing before swooping in and arresting them.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #50
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Well, they´re not allies actually, they´re all independent characters each pending their own affairs. And they're not evil per se, they are just complicated. The bioengineer, for example, thinks that the world is heading towards its own self-destruction with weapons of mass destruction, pollution, deforestation, global warming... And most of the others are simply ambitious to the limits of their own skills, but none have done anything really serious apart from the hacker, who is secretly responsible for several financial crises and stock market crashes such as August 2011 stock markets fall (which is represented by Secret Identity (World-class dangerous hacker; Possible death) [-30]).
You are aware that the classic mad scientist has the best of intentions, sacrificing individuals to make life better for a much larger group, and as he approaches this goal he spirals into more brutal methods to achieve it, right? And that is the most sympathetic mad scientist -- "I will improve your life and you are not as smart as I am, so do not question me."

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote