Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Lost in Dreams (Alexander)

Alexander Green dreamed strangly that night. Giant, near-alien spires of packed dirt reached into the sky in world of red dirt and scrubby plants. The sun was red rather than yellow. Uncomfortably large bugs flew through the sky. And an ant termite thing the size of a goat was carrying half of a long glass sword with a gently glowing hilt along a tunnel in its jaws.

Alexander woke up naked and dusty, with a red sun shining down on him. looking around, the first thing he saw was a skeleton. A bleached skeleton with its clothes still on. Its hair had fallen nearby it. The clothes were rustic, all the same undyed color. Or was it intentionally dyed greyish-brown? Other gear was strewn about the skeleton.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Poonbahbah

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Alexander)

As Alexander wakes up from his dream his first thoughts are of how weird that was. He wasn't often that much of a dreamer and that one was just... weird. Then he starts to notice things. Like the lack of a great big comfy bed under his back. As he opens his eyes there is NO ROOF over his head. "The heck," is the first thing he exclaims as he looks at that alien sky. He starts to rub the grit from his eyes but after one I'll fated attempt decides he'll need to get his hands grit free first. Once that's done he sits up and takes a better look around.

"Well that's convenient," 'and probably proves I'm still dreaming,' says/thinks Alexander noticing the clothing and gear of a nearby dead man. He wonders what this all is supposed to mean as he starts looting and inventoring the dead man for whatever he kind find. A little surprised that the stuff doesn't just appear on him like he's heard can happen in dreams. Never mind the feeling of digging through the dust.

When that's done he stands up and finally takes a better look around.

OOC
So I'm guessing he's approved then. :)

Edit: added a little thing about red/green colorblindness and where I found it to help with descriptions if you ever need it to the character sheet.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 04-08-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There's quite a lot of stuff. The clothing is an obvious first -- Its a bit too big a baggy, but it includes a belt. Its fortunate the shoes are too big, because that's a lot easier to work with than too small. The man has a fairly dull steel knife with a colored glass handle, a good amount of rope, a small pick, a small glass lens, a few hundred half sized glass marbles, and lots of bags. He had a strange device that was originally strapped to his hand -- it was made of cloth, with a great big glass lens over the top. It was padded with what felt like more marbles and a couple of glass rods. He could tell they were glass because they were partly exposed on the inside. The whole thing felt very heavy.

Around him, he realized there were more gear, and more skeletons. About six all told. The other men had swords and crossbows near them, and have gear of their own -- though only one other has another hand thing. They're quite scattered. He's in a pit of sorts, with picks, wheelbarrows, and shovels all over. The tools are scattered every which way, and several of them are broken. There's also what look like scorch marks on the sides of the pit. He can't tell what's outside the pit.

OCC: wow, I butchered the colors in the opening sequence

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Poonbahbah

'Right, I'm in some sort of mass grave open pit mine. The heck. Aren't I supposed to wake up from a dream. And where's coffee when you need it,' thinks Green as he finds the best fitting pair of clothes he can from amoung the skeletons. He'll also see about getting some of those many bags on his belt and filling them with the marbles in hopes that they'd be good to trade when he's somewhere else. He sees about a scabbard for a sword and a sheath for the knife. Lastly he straps one of the power gloves as he's dubbed them to his hand; putting whichever one looks more worn in a bag along with the marbles, a spare set of clothes, and that small glass lens. If he can find bolts he'll try to figure out a good way to take a crossbow, assuming any of those look like they still work. When all that's done he'll see about finding a way out of the pit.

OOC: You think? About the worse I think I could say after rereading the little thing on red/green blindness is that you should of probably said the sun appeared redder than normal. Which is only like half off. If he had the one where he saw red as black then I'd say you butchered the colors. But he has messed up green instead of nonexistent red.

And to recap he currently plans on taking: clothes +1 spare set, a sword if he can find a scabbard, the knife in a sheath or a bag, as many marbles as he can find, the power gloves one on hand the other in a bag, leaving the rope, tools, wheelbarrows, and such.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The other bodies don't seem to have much in the way of marbles, except for the guy with the other hand thing. Still, he has something like 400 small glass marbles, and they weigh about 5 lbs. Finding scabbards and sheaths isn't hard.

It takes some time, but he does find clothes than fit and a crossbow that works. All geared up, he looks to the edges of the pit. Its not hard to get out: an earth ramp leads out of it.

OOC: oh, I just forgot about his condition, and talked about how red everything was.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
Poonbahbah

Green heads up the ramp to see what else he can see.

OOC It's okay to have talked about how red everything is, funnily enough. I've got a link and an excert on my character sheet and Cliff Notes below.

Red/green color blindness isn't what you think; it's red or green not both, or at least it normally isn't. It comes in two levels of severity for each: abnormal and complete color blindness, for a total of 4. abnormal being you see less green or red then one normally would. Complete and you see red or green as black. All levels also affect how you see certain other colors to a degree.

I was goinig to say the quirk version is just abnormal green as that is the most common version of red/green color blindness listed at about 5% of the population. The four kinds affect about 8% in total. Feel free to overrule of course if you don't think that's quite quirk worthy.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Once up the ramp, There's lots to see. The area was full of sparsely leafed trees, with abundant bare branches, but just leaves to wonder if they might in some places provide a modicum of shade. Off in the distance he could see sparsely scattered spires of dirt or rock. To the left (west?) was a massive pile of earth -- had one of the spires been knocked over? To the right was the collapsed remains of a camp -- poles, canvas, more bodies, and more equipment. Every skeleton had been picked clean.

OCC: Fun toy

Old 04-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Poonbahbah

Green takes a little while to check what's in the camp in more detail. He hopes to find some canned goods, water, or something. Not that he really expects to.

'This is starting to feel less and less like a dream. So what did happen?' he wonders.

How does the temperature feel?

OOC: That is isn't it?
Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

He finds where the grain used to be: emptied sacks of something or the other. Not a kernel is left. He find some things that might have once held water and finally finds a thin metal canteen that probably does, but its been crushed and the lid certainly no longer opens. anything that might have once been sealed to hold water has been broken. He finds a bunch of buckets by a very deep well.

There are a variety of canning jars, made of glass and sealed with -- he's not sure what they are sealed with. some sort of wax. Almost all of them have been broken. There is one left, with some form of food suspended in a liquid -- a fruit perhaps, though it could also have been a potato or something like that.

Its surprizingly cool, given the terrain, but that could change as the sun gets higher.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Poonbahbah

Green drops a rock or tool into the well to see if he can hear water at the bottom. If he does he'll get the rope and see about drawing some water while wasting a relatively large amount of it on a knot that should hopefully not come undone.

If he doesn't hear the tell tale splash of water he'll take the preserves and pick a direction. Probably to the west and that knocked over spire or whatever it is.

Tags
lost in dreams