Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default How to model magical deviding ninja power

I'm working on a setting where a magical dragon statue conveys super ninja powers on those who touch it. Those who touch the statue can also pass on the power to others, the only problem is that each time the power is transfered it defuses between the recipiants, making each existing recipent weaker. How would I model this?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
Gudiomen

Default Re: How to model magical deviding ninja power

This seems like meta-ruling to me, there aren't any current mechanics I can recall that have in-built level/power altering systems...

Do you even need to model it? Just make the powers half as powerful whenever they're passed on (half the damage, half the level, half the range, whatever's sensible).

As a limitation I don't think this is worth anything, unless it can occur involuntarily.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
bcd

Default Re: How to model magical deviding ninja power

It depends a bit which questions it is you need to have answered. I would go about it as follows:

1. Model the base, undiluted power. (Don't forget the Affliction part, not sure exactly how a self-referencing Affliction works in practice.)

2. Define how the power dilutes when it gets spread around so that you can easily update people's powers when and as it dilutes.

If you are charging CPs for having access to this power then as it dilutes characters may be getting CPs for it back, or those CPs may just go dormant and waiting for the power to undilute (i.e. a power recipient gets offed or otherwise loses the power). Ideally a character who gets infected with the power pays the full cost from (1) above so that problems do not arise when the power undilutes. If you allow them to pay only the CPs for the diluted level that they actually receive then they will either owe points as it undilutes, or they may receive temporary disads to account for the point difference ("The power! It is too much to handle! Aieeeee!")

(I can easily see characters who paid full CP cost for the undiluted power going off on a campaign to kill off all other recipients in order to get their CP's worth of whoopass! This may or may not be what you want ...)
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, ninja, ninja sorting allarithum, purple kitten