Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
sabanknight

Default Looking for rules for my different way of using magic

I am in a campaign and am making a character that is a magic user. My character however will use a different delivery method. He will have various crafted items which cast the spell. The character is capable of making these items but takes some time. So the advantage is he doesn't spend fatigue in the field but he has a limited number to uses until he has to make more.

I am trying to find some rules for using and creating these items. My gm said the idea is ok but wants me do see if I can dig up some rules for the power.

Kind of what I am aiming for was- if you are familiar with it- Shippo's fox magic from the anime Inuyasha. This is a very close comparison to what I want to do just most of the items being single use items before I would have to craft another.

Curious to see if anyone can dig anything up because I can't find anything very close to what I am trying to achieve.
sabanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Looking for rules for my different way of using magic

There are reasonably good spells for this in Magic, under the school of Enchantment. You could just take solitary ceremonial magery so that you functionally can't cast spells in combat, and craft lots of limited-use items. There is a house-rule here that adjusts the price of Temporary Enchantment for greater sanity.

I forget how Magic does on encapsulating energy in items, though, if you don't want to give them built-in powerstones.

Or, for a completely different approach, you could use modular abilities that are restricted to only grant one-use powers, and take time and such to replace to represent making the items.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Depending on power level, you might find Improvised Items (GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles, p. 25) useful.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Dwarf99

the victoriana conversion has a few premade, but they don't go much into detail about explaining it: http://sites.google.com/site/tectuct...rpscoversions/
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
NorphTehDwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Depending on power level, you might find Improvised Items (GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles, p. 25) useful.
To tailor that to the OP's idea, I'd allow a lot of points to be put into that perk, and maybe say that you could use any number of levels you have in it to get a higher-point cost spell stone (spell-object? doesn't sound like he'd be using 'stones' per se but the idea's similar enough). If you add in Preparation Required and maybe limit its use to spells the character already has (call it... maybe a 60% limitation combined with a 10% enhancement for a grand total of -50%?) then you've got a fairly balanced system, I think.

If his only mode of casting is making these items, then a separate "Item-Crafting" Magery variant might be in order to allow the learning of spells that have Magery requirements. I'd call this variant 5 points for Magery 0 and then 5 points for each level of Magery past that, unless the OP doesn't want his character to possess the magic item detection abilities of Magery 0, in which case I'd charge 5 points for each level of that magery.

I think it'd come to somewhere around that cost if you used Limited and Modified Magery from Thaumatology, but my copy's a whole five feed away and I just got off shift.

Maybe I'm looking at this completely wrong and some variant of Limited and Modified Magery would do the trick without Improvised items, I dunno.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate magic, magic, rules