Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #21
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Looking for GM opinions on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I wouldn't like corrections just after the dice have been rolled, too, but before that – I'd be happy to be corrected. (This might be because I'm tired of my players not engaging enough to learn basic combat maneuvers, though). After the dice have been rolled, I'd like the player to speak up after the scene or after the game – to correct me, but without disturbing the flow of the game.
I guess maybe there is a context. I certainly wouldn't mind if a player reminded me about a rule discretely before dice rolled or before I was made to make a call on a rules question, especially if it's something that slipped my mind and I don't need to read up on it. It's just that rules are more often glazed over in combat or other structured play like that and interruptions during that kind of stuff really kills the rhythm of the game and frustrates my players. I'd rather get a little thing wrong and not lose momentum than manage combat correctly and have a player thinking about what they'd rather be doing with their Saturday.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #22
lordabdul

I'm OK being occasionally corrected by the players as long as it stays respectful and doesn't disrupt the flow of play (basically if it's very infrequent). It's more common for my group to talk about some rule we forgot after the game, but I think it's more a matter of us remembering that rule only at the end (or long enough after the scene was done) rather than a conscious decision to wait until the end of the session to bring it up.

I think the more important point here is that if the game group forgets rules too often, it's a sign that maybe there are too many rules in play. Maybe it's time to simplify things down to vanilla Basic Set, maybe even ignore all the "tactical combat" stuff, keep maneuvers to a minimum, etc. Adding more crunch isn't worth it if you keep forgetting it and making the game inconsistent and frustrating.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #23
tshiggins

I tend to think of these games as more collaborative, and I usually have at least one player who knows the rules at least as well as I do (or even better), who helps me remember things. He or she looks up stuff, and tosses it out there as I'm running things.

That said, I definitely adhere to the, "when in doubt, roll and shout," meta-rule to keep the game moving, and then look up the RAW between sessions.

Rules-lawyering is only fun for the rules-lawyers (to the extent it's fun for anybody, at all) and -- to be honest -- I'm not even sure it's that much fun, for them.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Rules-lawyering is only fun for the rules-lawyers (to the extent it's fun for anybody, at all) and -- to be honest -- I'm not even sure it's that much fun, for them.
"Depends on the situation..." argued the rules lawyer.

For me it's more about consistency of rules being applied... but I'll admit to enjoying a healthy debate and occasionally taking the devil's advocacy just to get some nice verbal sparing in (or to really hammer down a loose corner case of the rules).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote